B*****y Cyclists

anglo

LE
They are putting in a cycle lane on the left hand as seen by the red barriers, to turn right
you can either.
Ride up the cycle lane, stop at the first road wait till clear, to the next road, stop,
wait till clear, and finally end up where you wanted to go,
or
Ride up the road to roundabout, stop, wait till clear, ride round the roundabout and
you're where you want to be
What a waste of money

P1470840.JPG
P1470841.JPG

Attachments

They are putting in a cycle lane on the left hand as seen by the red barriers, to turn right
you can either.
Ride up the cycle lane, stop at the first road wait till clear, to the next road, stop,
wait till clear, and finally end up where you wanted to go,
or
Ride up the road to roundabout, stop, wait till clear, ride round the roundabout and
you're where you want to be
What a waste of money

View attachment 483030View attachment 483032
You can guarantee that if cyclists do obey the rules of the road and use the right hand lane for turning right there will be some twat complaining they aren't using the cycle lane.

Last edited:
You can guarantee that if cyclists do obey the rules of the road and use the right hand lane for turning right there will some twat complaining they aren't using the cycle lane.
I think he already has.;)

RBMK

Old-Salt
Our local town has decided to pedestrianise the centre and add more cycle lanes.
No improvements to the inner ring road so traffic will now be even more snarled up.
The two dozen cyclists will be pleased. The 10,000 car owners and bus drivers won't.

PFGEN

GCM
We had an inner ring road in the city. Some of the perpetually offended complained about high levels of fine particles. Cars were given the blame and a strip of around 400m was closed. End result is that it now takes around 45 minutes to navigate the other streets to get around the stoppage, occasionally finding other motorists who have given up in despair. The amount of pollution has risen considerably as a result of this but that never worries the greenies.

This sort of action plus parking charges that require a mortgage and a reduced number of parking spaces means that I and plenty others have voted with our wallets and avoid the centre period. The city is then left wondering why stores are closing due to lack of trade.

I find cyclists ( mostly ) utterly selfish everywhere they go.
They couldn't give a flying fuck about anyone who wants to move faster than them,

Twats

Our local town has decided to pedestrianise the centre and add more cycle lanes.
No improvements to the inner ring road so traffic will now be even more snarled up.
The two dozen cyclists will be pleased. The 10,000 car owners and bus drivers won't.
You should get a bike then; you'll be happier.

And might gain two dozen friends!

You should get a bike then; you'll be happier.

And might gain two dozen friends!
And a beautiful new wardrobe of clothing.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Last year I was dahn the big smoke
attempting to cross the road by Embankment station was sheer lunacy
they have a separate cycle lane, which is excellent, but its like Le Mans
I nearly got taken out by a couple of loons on racing bikes doing around 30 mph
whats wrong with just riding along above walking speed like every one else
it seems that not every one likes it
perhaps a copper with a speed gun and some big fines might help, or automatic signs that display the speed and an image of the offending cyclist

Drummer_Boy

Old-Salt
perhaps a copper with a speed gun and some big fines might help, or automatic signs that display the speed and an image of the offending cyclist
Unfortunately for this idea, push bikes (like horses) do not have speed limits, they are for motor vehicles only. So no legal enforceable speed limit.

I wish I could cycle at 30mph on the flat. That's seriously impressive speeds.

ETA: I was in a triathlon once years ago, somewhere in the Borders, where there was one of those radar activated speed warning signs that shows your measured speed. Of course, everyone was trying to trigger it to go red (>30mph) and some of the young flyers actually managed it, but most of us got nowhere near.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately for this idea, push bikes (like horses) do not have speed limits, they are for motor vehicles only. So no legal enforceable speed limit.
My brother was caught in a speed trap in Richmond park many years ago, probably by stopwatch, he was hitting 38mph downhill on a time trials bike
he got a massive telling off and told to keep the speed down or they would find some mediaval punishment suitable
They could easily put up a speed limit for the cycle track and nick people exceeding it

My brother was caught in a speed trap in Richmond park many years ago, probably by stopwatch, he was hitting 38mph downhill on a time trials bike
he got a massive telling off and told to keep the speed down or they would find some mediaval punishment suitable
They could easily put up a speed limit for the cycle track and nick people exceeding it
Is this cycle track downhill, then?

Because then you may as well just walk.

When I commute in by bike, I have about 10 miles to do - If I cycle hard I can get my day's physs in, and avoid having to sit on the tube.

If I were doing that at walking speed (or just over) it would take over 2 hours. No thanks - outta the way, grandpa.

anglo

LE
I wish I could cycle at 30mph on the flat. That's seriously impressive speeds.

ETA: I was in a triathlon once years ago, somewhere in the Borders, where there was one of those radar activated speed warning signs that shows your measured speed. Of course, everyone was trying to trigger it to go red (>30mph) and some of the young flyers actually managed it, but most of us got nowhere near.
If you have the right number of gears, and they are stepped properly and you use them
right you will do 30 MPH easy

As you mentioned downhill, there’s ze crayzee Frenchies racing down icy mountains. Effing scary some of the stuff especially down steep steps and single tracks. Sorry for the thread drift, but it does involve bicycles.