B*****y Cyclists

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
What brake is on the front? Unless that's a hydraulic disc as well I wouldn't bother putting one on the back.

Hydraulic disc brakes are awesome for stopping power but the pain in the arse factor of bleeding them means I wouldn't bother on anything other than a mountain bike. Even then unless you're planning on going near steep hills it's probably overkill.

A set of V brakes set up and bedded in correctly will give you close to the same braking performance while costing less money, time and sanity. I replaced mine this year for about 50 quid, front and back including new cables, from ChainReactionCycles and I reckon the braking power is about 85-90% of my mountain bike.

If you do go hydraulic disc get one that uses mineral oil rather than the various DOT fluids, it's much easier to handle and dispose of in my experience.
Front brake is a mechanical disc, rear is a calliper. The front brake locks up when used so will be replacing both, am used to hydraulics as I used to have them on my Lambretta when I had it. As I said earlier, only cost me 70 quid, I'll spend a bit of time and money getting it to where I want, the shocks on the front probably cost more than I paid for it, the seller didn't really have a clue.
This kind of thing but made by Chilli Works:-
1591216065877.png

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Front brake is a mechanical disc, rear is a calliper. The front brake locks up when used so will be replacing both, am used to hydraulics as I used to have them on my Lambretta when I had it. As I said earlier, only cost me 70 quid, I'll spend a bit of time and money getting it to where I want, the shocks on the front probably cost more than I paid for it, the seller didn't really have a clue.
This kind of thing but made by Chilli Works:-
View attachment 479198
I am not sure how the brakes on my sparta work, they are mechanical, but they may well be discs hidden under the cover, made by shimano, they work well, the only oddity is the need to grease them once a gear ????

I am not sure how the brakes on my sparta work, they are mechanical, but they may well be discs hidden under the cover, made by shimano, they work well, the only oddity is the need to grease them once a gear ????
Is it a Shimano roller brake? Works like an old fashioned drum brake?

RigPig

War Hero
I’ve used clipless peddles on my mountain bikes for years. I feel odd when I ride a bike without them. When first using them you have to set the tension low and learn to unclip before trying to put your foot down. With Shimano MTB cleats it’s by twisting the heel outwards. You can also get MTB shoes with a normal sole that can be used for walking with the bike. The cleat is surrounded by a normal sole, so does not make clicky noises when you walk.

Disc brakes are very good. I run Hope brakes on both my bikes, 4 pot front and rear on my full susser and 4 pot on the front and 2 pot on the rear on the hard tail. The biggest advantage is hey work in the wet.

Hope brakes used DOT fluid and can be bled like a car brake with the same sort of kit. Others are bled by pushing fluid from the caliper to lever. I’ve had no experience of doing that. DOT fluid, if it leaks on car paint work will destroy it. Something to be aware of if you have leaky brakes and put your bike on the roof of the car.

RP

clanky

War Hero
My e mtb goes through brake pads at a rate of knots, which take about 5 mins to change. Apart from a 6 monthly brake bleed that's the only maint they need. When I upgrade my road bike I'll be going for one with discs.

Unpossible! Cyclists always use the cycle lanes which were set up, at vast expense, to cater to their needs.
They only the cycle lanes when the footways are full of those thoughtless pedestrians blocking their way.

wafubustard

War Hero
After years of cleats on my mtb they have been ditched. I have never had a snag off road but commuting to work screwed me when my shoe re engaged the clip as I dismounted.
Back to big spikes on the flat pedal as they don't hurt so much.

Deal for all you serious guys: Free SIS isotonic energy gels x10 +£4 shipping or free shipping on orders over £10

SIS Linkie

Dumped on the road for the weekend
Pisses me off too. Along with the McDonalds boxes and chippy wrappers. It must be a right huur balancing a big mac and fries on a bike handlebars.

When I experimented with gels, I decanted them into a little flask to carry in my back pocket - meant no struggling opening the feckers and no sticky sachet to carry home. But I discovered that I can't stomach them - they pass through me rapidly within an hour.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Deal for all you serious guys: Free SIS isotonic energy gels x10 +£4 shipping or free shipping on orders over £10

SIS Linkie
Can’t stand them. I take Stoat’s porridge bars and a couple of bananas for long rides.
Couple of Maccy D's finest double bacon & egg McMuffins with a bottle of OJ works for me until I get to a pub that's open.
I remember cycling the London to Brighton for BHF a few years back, carried 4 water bottles, popped into the pub at the halfway mark, Copthorne I think it was, dumped all 4 bottles on teh bar and asked ther barmaid if she could fill them up, she said of course, you look hot and sweaty (which I was after cycling 25 miles through undulating countryside), I bet you could do with a nice cold beer. 2 pints later, I step outside to see the rest of the team just showing up :mrgreen:

Couple of Maccy D's finest double bacon & egg McMuffins with a bottle of OJ works for me until I get to a pub that's open.
I remember cycling the London to Brighton for BHF a few years back, carried 4 water bottles, popped into the pub at the halfway mark, Copthorne I think it was, dumped all 4 bottles on teh bar and asked ther barmaid if she could fill them up, she said of course, you look hot and sweaty (which I was after cycling 25 miles through undulating countryside), I bet you could do with a nice cold beer. 2 pints later, I step outside to see the rest of the team just showing up :mrgreen:
No golden arrseholes where I cycle, and the pubs are pretty scarce as well.

Last attempt.

No Highway Code rules were broken by me. I did not try to admonish him by sounding my horn or any other inconsiderate action. What you saw there was a still from a video and you do not know the speeds of the traffic or when I first saw him. I could have stopped within the distance and not run into him. If he had overbalanced and stepped into the road or just suddenly decided to join the road again that would not have helped. Fortunately I had just checked my off side mirror and was able safely to move to the extreme right of the lane without danger although I was not able to give him the road space that is my normal driving.

The point that I was trying to make that was that he was putting himself and other road users at risk by not getting away from a potentially dangerous location but being more concerned about his bike (or his stockbroker).

He was also breaking HC Rules 59 and 70. No helmet, neutral clothing and leaving his bicycle where it caused an obstruction.

I notice that there is no general Rule like 146 and 147 (for considerate behaviour) in the section of the Highway Code applicable to cyclists. Not all cyclists are angels any more than all drivers are demons.
That because they are in the section for ALL ROAD USERS.

Latest Threads