B*****y Cyclists

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Easy, I don't drink coffee when I'm out cycling, either water or beer if there's a pub on the way

clanky

War Hero
Clipless pedals are the way ahead. The toe clips are uncomfortable, difficult to find and have a propensity to find errant trainer laces.

As i said on teh cookery thread, I picked up a bike today for 70 quid, needs a bit of work on it, already has new tyres and seat, so that's sorted. Looking at replacing the rear cantilever brake on the back with a hydraulic disc brake, needs a new chain and the gearing tightened or new cables. Frame and paint are in good nick and it'll do to tootle around on until I've got some practice in. Got a 2nd hand turbo trainer set up in the garden for this, so in a few weeks, I'll be able to leave the OH on her tod and toddle off for a few hours. There will be no , that's NO, lycra involved and clip ons will deffo be out especially when it already has half toe clips fitted.
What brake is on the front? Unless that's a hydraulic disc as well I wouldn't bother putting one on the back.

Hydraulic disc brakes are awesome for stopping power but the pain in the arse factor of bleeding them means I wouldn't bother on anything other than a mountain bike. Even then unless you're planning on going near steep hills it's probably overkill.

A set of V brakes set up and bedded in correctly will give you close to the same braking performance while costing less money, time and sanity. I replaced mine this year for about 50 quid, front and back including new cables, from ChainReactionCycles and I reckon the braking power is about 85-90% of my mountain bike.

If you do go hydraulic disc get one that uses mineral oil rather than the various DOT fluids, it's much easier to handle and dispose of in my experience.

I had to drop my mum off to hospital for a procedure at 6:30 one morning last week. She was going to be out by 9am, so I didn't want to drive home then come back fighting the morning traffic. There was nothing open that early, so I decided to go to Parramatta Park nearby and eat a bit of breakfast and do a bit of amateur archelogy.

Jeez, that was a mistake.

It's great how the 30KM/h speed limit only applies to cars, cyclists can ignore it with gay abandon. It's also fantastic when I'm trying to give some slow bugger 1 metre of space only to have some speeding two wheeled idiot come flying inbetween the slow cyclist and my car.

The best was when one fat bastard wheeled his bicycle out, not into the cycling lane but in the middle of the car lane, causing me to hit the brakes and stop only to watch him mount the bicycle while he is on an upward slope then try to take off at about 2KM/h puffing and struggling to gain some speed going up the hill while I crawl along behind him. I ended up driving in the cycling lane to get by him.

I need to check the dashcam to see if all the footage is still on there.

The best was when one fat bastard wheeled his bicycle out, not into the cycling lane but in the middle of the car lane, causing me to hit the brakes and stop only to watch him mount the bicycle while he is on an upward slope then try to take off at about 2KM/h puffing and struggling to gain some speed going up the hill while I crawl along behind him. I ended up driving in the cycling lane to get by him.
Unpossible! Cyclists always use the cycle lanes which were set up, at vast expense, to cater to their needs.

I need to check the dashcam to see if all the footage is still on there.
Can’t WAIT to see it.

You boring old cunt.

Clipless pedals are the way ahead. The toe clips are uncomfortable, difficult to find and have a propensity to find errant trainer laces.
As I discovered at a set of traffic lights in Stirling, much to the amusement of several people waiting to cross.

Straight onto Wiggle when I got home for some spd's

What brake is on the front? Unless that's a hydraulic disc as well I wouldn't bother putting one on the back.
Totally agree. Plus, having a hydraulic disc on the back and a caliper on the front sounds very unbalanced to me. 80% of the braking force is through the front brake, so when he is embarrassing MAMILS through sheer speed and has to brake suddenly, there is a very high chance of locking the back wheel and ending up on his definitely not lycra clad arse.

Hydraulic disc brakes are awesome for stopping power but the pain in the arse factor of bleeding them means I wouldn't bother on anything other than a mountain bike. Even then unless you're planning on going near steep hills it's probably overkill.
They are a pain to bleed, but I have a 10 year old Boardman MTB whose brakes have never been bled, and which still perform as well as ever. Not that they get any extreme work, as I discovered shortly after buying it that I don't like mountain biking that much. It really only gets used on forest tracks and trails.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I ride one of a pair of Dutch Cycles, stainless spokes and rims, hub brakes, hub gears, 28 inch wheels, long before the hipsters discovered them, and a nice big comfy saddle and upright bars
its like the Queen Mary on wheels, comfy, and keeps a reasonable speed, I can carry things in the panniers, and mount and dismount with ease, even with my useless leg, whats with all this speed and posing, and spending money on tat ??
oh and it comes with lights, a big bell and puncture resistant tyre so I never get my hands dirty, and the chain runs in its own case, so I rarely need to think about it
and nor does it make that awful crack crack noise when changing gears, so beloved of mamils
off road tracks are never a problem
one simply walks alongside it and enjoys the break
likewise steep hills, I barely get out of breath limping up them, nor do I smell like a sweaty joggers armpit

I ride one of a pair of Dutch Cycles, stainless spokes and rims, hub brakes, hub gears, 28 inch wheels, long before the hipsters discovered them, and a nice big comfy saddle and upright bars
its like the Queen Mary on wheels, comfy, and keeps a reasonable speed, I can carry things in the panniers, and mount and dismount with ease, even with my useless leg, whats with all this speed and posing, and spending money on tat ??
oh and it comes with lights, a big bell and puncture resistant tyre so I never get my hands dirty, and the chain runs in its own case, so I rarely need to think about it
and nor does it make that awful crack crack noise when changing gears, so beloved of mamils
likewise steep hills, I barely get out of breath limping up them, nor do I smell like a sweaty joggers armpit
Is this you out for a Sunday ride?

You enjoy cycling your way; I'll enjoy it mine. Let's all just enjoy it, safely.

You enjoy cycling your way; I'll enjoy it mine. Let's all just enjoy it, safely.
It's a bit of an odd notion that there's only one right type of bike to ride, one set of gear to wear, and everyone else doing differently is doing it wrong.

how much beer can you carry in your panniers ?
If needing to carry beer (and can dispense with wet weather gear), I can get 8 bottles in, along with a picnic basket for two, and a groundsheet or woolen blanket.

Latest Threads