B*****y Cyclists

daz

LE
You might need to respond that memo to the council. Cycling events dont have to be races.

The KLP here is that cycling is a very broad church. It includes mamils, tamils, fred, doris, hi viz man, recumbent and all the other subsets. The problem the haters have is they dont understand the culture, so they aren't everyone with the same 2 wheels bad brush.
A prestigious event that hardly anyone's heard about, yippee ki ai

You might need to respond that memo to the council. Cycling events dont have to be races.

The KLP here is that cycling is a very broad church. It includes mamils, tamils, fred, doris, hi viz man, recumbent and all the other subsets. The problem the haters have is they dont understand the culture, so they aren't everyone with the same 2 wheels bad brush.
So Harrogate is not hosting any cycling event, just a tourism expo. Your point being?

Lot’s of folk go to Yorkshire for cycling, it’s the main cycling destination in England after the Lake District. Just because some old knackers on arrse with a pathological dislike of exercise aren’t aware of it, doesn’t make it not true.

Having gotten back into cycling again, due to the fitness studios being shut down, I've boosted my daily tour to 25 or so klicks per day ( quit snickering in the back...). So now I'm debating, should I bump my distance up, or try to raise my average speed. Bear in mind I'm an old fart of just about 64.
Nothing wrong with 25km, it’s 25km better than spending all day on arrse moaning.
What limits you? Is 25km a convenient distance? If so, do it faster. If not, go longer.

clanky

War Hero
Having gotten back into cycling again, due to the fitness studios being shut down, I've boosted my daily tour to 25 or so klicks per day ( quit snickering in the back...). So now I'm debating, should I bump my distance up, or try to raise my average speed. Bear in mind I'm an old fart of just about 64.
Have a look at the british cycling site for loads of training plans. If you fancy something a bit more social once lockdown ends try here

Lot’s of folk go to Yorkshire for cycling, it’s the main cycling destination in England after the Lake District. Just because some old knackers on arrse with a pathological dislike of exercise aren’t aware of it, doesn’t make it not true.
Why is everything you post utter shite? Do you live in Harrogate?

Have a look at the british cycling site for loads of training plans. If you fancy something a bit more social once lockdown ends try here

I think @Flash MacTavish is based in my old stomping ground in the Schwarzwald (well quite nearby, anyway), if I am remembering correctly. In which case there are plenty of routes.

You really are a speshul kind of mong aren’t you? You‘re like one of those monkeys who start flinging their shit at stuff they don’t have the wherewithal to understand.

clanky

War Hero
Do you have to live somewhere to comment on local events? Sorry I didnt realise. I'd imagine the Yorkshire Councils discouraging cycling events would be a bit like the Algarve trying to discourage golf. After all it's only 70 million quid.

I think @Flash MacTavish is based in my old stomping ground in the Schwarzwald (well quite nearby, anyway), if I am remembering correctly. In which case there are plenty of routes.
I'm looking forward to when the French border is opened again, there is a very nice flat route along the Rhine which is about 60 Km or so, a nice day out with a stop for lunch on the west bank of the Rhine.

Truth be told, I try to arrange my routes to fit in a decent beer garden every 15 Km or so...
Sounds like a plan! Actually my wife and I weren’t too far away just 50 weeks ago. We cycled from Basel to Strasbourg with overnight stops in Müllheim, Freiburg, Colmar, Riquewihr, and Barr. Very manageable distances of about 40/45km each day, and always plenty of places to stop for a coffee or ice cream.

Sounds like a plan! Actually my wife and I weren’t too far away just 50 weeks ago. We cycled from Basel to Strasbourg with overnight stops in Müllheim, Freiburg, Colmar, Riquewihr, and Barr. Very manageable distances of about 40/45km each day, and always plenty of places to stop for a coffee or ice cream.
Nice, I've been thinking of perhaps doing the tour around Lake Konstanz this year if my trip to Canada falls through ( which looks more, and more likely ), SWMBO could drive from stop to stop with the baggage, while I huff and puff along behind her.

Nice, I've been thinking of perhaps doing the tour around Lake Konstanz this year if my trip to Canada falls through ( which looks more, and more likely ), SWMBO could drive from stop to stop with the baggage, while I huff and puff along behind her.
Sounds awesome. Funnily enough, we had been planning a cycle trip in Canada. We had been planning on going to Kelowna for the World Seniors Curling Champs and had planned to cycle somewhere closer to Vancouver. We never got round to nailing down details before the whole thing got blown off.

yeah, take really long bike rides

miles away into the stick where there's no internet....

clanky

War Hero
Whilst I cant support XRs actions, it's interesting to see the outcomes when people start installing their own cycling infrastructure.

clanky

War Hero
Has anyone heard when these "cycle repair" vouchers are supposed to be available from the Government?

Not heard anything about the vouchers. Local groups having been pressuring our local labour council to actually start spending the money. The irony of a Tory PM kicking out one of the biggest investments in cycling for years while a labour council opposes it is not lost on me.

Latest Threads