B*****y Cyclists

The first large, case-control study of helmet effectiveness found very large protective effects, estimating 85% and 88% reductions in head and brain injury, respectively, for helmeted cyclists relative to unhelmeted cyclists.9 Later studies have also found protective effects, but not often to the same extent. For example, a recent case-control study in France found risk reductions of 24–31% (depending on adjustment methods) for head injury and 70% for head injuries greater than 2 on the Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS).10
Got to be worth the money then!

I have a brand new bike that's been in the shed unused for 12 months so Tomorrow I'm getting it ready to use over Summer.

What does the law say about wearing a helmet??

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the replies guys! I am ordering one Tonight

Having gotten back into cycling again, due to the fitness studios being shut down, I've boosted my daily tour to 25 or so klicks per day ( quit snickering in the back...). So now I'm debating, should I bump my distance up, or try to raise my average speed. Bear in mind I'm an old fart of just about 64.

I have a brand new bike that's been in the shed unused for 12 months so Tomorrow I'm getting it ready to use over Summer.

What does the law say about wearing a helmet??

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Do you have all the Tour de France lycra and proper cycling shoes to go with bike?

Having gotten back into cycling again, due to the fitness studios being shut down, I've boosted my daily tour to 25 or so klicks per day ( quit snickering in the back...). So now I'm debating, should I bump my distance up, or try to raise my average speed. Bear in mind I'm an old fart of just about 64.
Try both; do what's comfortable and doesn't leave you as a trembling wreck when you get assisted off the bike.

Driving to pick SWMBO up from work this evening I'd got the radio on. There was some Cycling Tsar-type bloke on from Manchester, banging on about how 40% of journeys in the UK were less than 2 miles and half were less than 3 miles and thus easily cycle rides. He also said that the good weather of late had encouraged lots of people to use bikes and saw it as the future.

Well maybe in reasonably flat Scumchester but not around me in hilly Yorkshire. Cyclists are a rare sight in this neck of the woods and doubly so when the weather turns. Indeed, I'd venture that the number of folks who use bikes rapidly get the car out of the garage at the first sign of a drop of rain. So is cycling the future that will save the planet? Nope, not even close.

Really? How much revenue does this bring to Yorkshire?

£50-70 million - that's not many hotel bookings and meals in the scope of things. And for the other 362 days of the year? Also this year it's unsurprisingly been knocked on the head - I think Yorkshire will manage to survive it's loss.

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
Driving to pick SWMBO up from work this evening I'd got the radio on. There was some Cycling Tsar-type bloke on from Manchester, banging on about how 40% of journeys in the UK were less than 2 miles and half were less than 3 miles and thus easily cycle rides. He also said that the good weather of late had encouraged lots of people to use bikes and saw it as the future.

Well maybe in reasonably flat Scumchester but not around me in hilly Yorkshire. Cyclists are a rare sight in this neck of the woods and doubly so when the weather turns. Indeed, I'd venture that the number of folks who use bikes rapidly get the car out of the garage at the first sign of a drop of rain. So is cycling the future that will save the planet? Nope, not even close.

Ever seen those little 80cc strap ons for pushbikes ?

I saw one in the flesh for the first time a couple of days ago....... I think they're illegal, unless you jump through a lot of hoops registering them, in this country.

clanky

War Hero
£50-70 million - that's not many hotel bookings and meals in the scope of things. And for the other 362 days of the year? Also this year it's unsurprisingly been knocked on the head - I think Yorkshire will manage to survive it's loss.
It doesn't rain that often Karen. Yorkshire is home to some fantastic cycling events.

Do a bit of both.

Do some longer rides at a slower pace to build endurance and a few shorter rides at higher pace/with some intervals to build speed.

Then go back to your 25kms and smash your current time!

It doesn't rain that often Karen. Yorkshire is home to some fantastic cycling events.
Cyclists have shat the nest once too often. Harrogate people actively despise them for the inconvenience and damage the last time they came to town
Surprisingly, Harrogate council have decided to let someone else take up this wonderful opportunity next time. Council speak for I'd really like to get re elected to the council next time.

P. S. The inappropriate use of Karen, Boomer and Gammon, just marks out the user as a try too hard pathetic wanker. Just so you know

Last place I worked at a few (a VERY few) of the younger end cycled in. The young, thrusting graduate types - let's be blunt here, wankers to a man. As I said, first drop of rain, they all came in by car.

clanky

War Hero
Last place I worked at a few (a VERY few) of the younger end cycled in. The young, thrusting graduate types - let's be blunt here, ******* to a man. As I said, first drop of rain, they all came in by car.
So all your bosses used to cycle in. Perhaps they preferred cycling to driving a bottom of the range sadmobile.
PS it's a Carens Karen.

So all your bosses used to cycle in. Perhaps they preferred cycling to driving a bottom of the range sadmobile.
PS it's a Carens Karen.
Fluorescent pink lycra a bit tight is it?

clanky

War Hero
Cyclists have shat the nest once too often. Harrogate people actively despise them for the inconvenience and damage the last time they came to town
Surprisingly, Harrogate council have decided to let someone else take up this wonderful opportunity next time. Council speak for I'd really like to get re elected to the council next time.

P. S. The inappropriate use of Karen, Boomer and Gammon, just marks out the user as a try too hard pathetic ******. Just so you know
You might need to respond that memo to the council. Cycling events dont have to be races.

The KLP here is that cycling is a very broad church. It includes mamils, tamils, fred, doris, hi viz man, recumbent and all the other subsets. The problem the haters have is they dont understand the culture, so they aren't everyone with the same 2 wheels bad brush.

Latest Threads