B*****y Cyclists

For a mixed use path, they (the guy who crashed and the guy with camera) were going a lot faster than I would be comfortable cycling.
Same here. However, even if he'd been going at a reasonable speed he would still have needed to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision with a potential Superman over the handlebars.

If you skip to 26 seconds in and watch it a few times it looks to me like he swerved to avoid the woman, his front wheel hits the kerb and her front wheel collides with his rear wheel. If he was going a bit slower and the same situation happened chances are both front wheels would have collided instead.

Same here. However, even if he'd been going at a reasonable speed he would still have needed to slam the brakes on to avoid a collision with a potential Superman over the handlebars.

If you skip to 26 seconds in and watch it a few times it looks to me like he swerved to avoid the woman, his front wheel hits the kerb and her front wheel collides with his rear wheel. If he was going a bit slower and the same situation happened chances are both front wheels would have collided instead.
When Robert Brown discovered Brownian Motion, history records he had been observing the movement of pollen suspended in water. In truth, he had been observing the movement of Women.

View attachment 473480
This is what pisses me off about cyclists. This morning, it it on a very tight bend, a 40 mph dual carraigeway, no pavement and he thinks he can just stop to footer about with his bike. I had just looked in my off-side mirror to check for an overtaking car when I saw him in my peripheral vision. 30 yards further on the road straightens and the pavement re-appears.
I wouldn't have worried about it, if that little put-put was overtaking you it's highly unlikely you were going at a speed that would have caused the cyclist any harm if you had hit him. ;)

True but if I'd hit him I would have been largely to blame. Common sense should have told him not to stay in a hazardous position for any longer than absolutely necessary. If it had been a car stopped in the same position "my bias" would not have thought much of it either but I'd have been able to see it much earlier. Don't know how he coped with the ambulance; I hope he did not need it.
How about you look where you’re going and pay attention to the road ahead.

Where were you going in such a hurry that meant you couldn’t afford to either slow down or move a couple of meters out to safely pass him.

More importantly, to me anyway, is that you’ve taken time out of your day to screen shot a still from your dash cam and upload it to the internet in order to demonstrate someone stopping on the side of the road. Get a hobby.

You absolute fucking belter.

clanky

War Hero
I don't see what the bloke has done to deserve being called a helmet there. The oncoming cyclists are on the right, the first one keeps going on the right so the 'helmet' moves over to the left as the second oncoming cyclist parks herself across the cyclepath looking bit.
It also demonstrates why shared use pathways are such a bad idea. Hence why I ride on the road. Unfortunately too many councils will paint a white line in the middle of a footpath and call it infrastructure. It's great that xbj is taking so much time in this glorious weather to look for videos highlighting cycling issues.

It also demonstrates why shared use pathways are such a bad idea. Hence why I ride on the road. Unfortunately too many councils will paint a white line in the middle of a footpath and call it infrastructure. It's great that xbj is taking so much time in this glorious weather to look for videos highlighting cycling issues.
With you on that. I rarely cycle on mixed use paths. Just not worth the trouble.

It's great that xbj is taking so much time in this glorious weather to look for videos highlighting cycling issues.
Consider it a public service :)

The first time I rode a tyre through to the webbing I thought I'd ridden through some paint.
Mostly my own fault, I should have replaced them a few years ago. I was on a shared pedestrian and bike path when a young child darted to the left ( after I had warned them with my bell a few seconds earlier ) and I had to dodge to the left onto the street to avoid him. The drop from the bike path onto the street was too much for my elderly tires.

I have a brand new bike that's been in the shed unused for 12 months so Tomorrow I'm getting it ready to use over Summer.

What does the law say about wearing a helmet??

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

I have a brand new bike that's been in the shed unused for 12 months so Tomorrow I'm getting it ready to use over Summer.

It says that when you come off you're going to cost us all a lot of money to get taken to hospital, treated for brain trauma and possibly die or require lots of very expensive rehabilitation so don't be a cnut.

clanky

War Hero
The sensible answer is that helmets are not mandatory, and you are allowed to make a sensible assessment on whether you need one or not. For example if you are planning 30 mph plus road rides then a helmet is an incredibly good idea. If you going for a pootle across some fields with your kids, maybe not.

The sensible answer is that helmets are not mandatory, and you are allowed to make a sensible assessment on whether you need one or not. For example if you are planning 30 mph plus road rides then a helmet is an incredibly good idea. If you going for a pootle across some fields with your kids, maybe not.
The first large, case-control study of helmet effectiveness found very large protective effects, estimating 85% and 88% reductions in head and brain injury, respectively, for helmeted cyclists relative to unhelmeted cyclists.9 Later studies have also found protective effects, but not often to the same extent. For example, a recent case-control study in France found risk reductions of 24–31% (depending on adjustment methods) for head injury and 70% for head injuries greater than 2 on the Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS).10

Common sense says wear one, wherever you're going, at whatever speed!

It says that when you come off you're going to cost us all a lot of money to get taken to hospital, treated for brain trauma and possibly die or require lots of very expensive rehabilitation so don't be a cnut.
Ok fair enough, I will get one ordered :)

anglo

LE

Wear a helmet, From personnel experience, a family member having an accident,
{in my family an RTA} is profound and long-lasting
Protect your head, you can't get another one, legs and arms are replaceable,
no second hand brains available.

Latest Threads