B*****y Cyclists

I think, from my NEEBOSH days, a code is just that a code of conduct. I haven't read the Highway Code for a number of days and am not legally trained. However, it's my understanding (and I'm open to correction) that if you "break" the code you may be prosecuted under a relative law?
Depends. If the rule says "shall", "must" or some similar 'command' word, then there's very likely to be legislation behind it.

If it's "should", "may" or some similar 'optional' word, it will be advice or guidance only. Advice or guidance that may see you dead if you ignore it but nothing you can be nicked for.

Niamac

GCM
From an excellent book of cartoons by Fougasse about the rules of the road comes the following extract warning from the newly-published Highway Code.

"A failure on the part of any person to observe any provision of the Highway Code shall not render that person liable to criminal proceedings but any such failure may be relied upon to make it so hot for him he won't know the difference"

The book concludes;

"The average motorist," said my companion, "is a much maligned person. Contrary to the general belief, he does not go about the country courting disaster: he is as much concerned to avoid accident as anyone else. Nor has he any desire whatever to jeopardise either his own safety or his neighbour's. Being essentially law-abiding if he is told by authority what he ought to do, the average motorist will always...."

At that moment a car came swiftly and suddenly out of a concealed turning, backwards and on fire.

"Why bless my soul," said my companion, "there he is."

Depends. If the rule says "shall", "must" or some similar 'command' word, then there's very likely to be legislation behind it.

If it's "should", "may" or some similar 'optional' word, it will be advice or guidance only. Advice or guidance that may see you dead if you ignore it but nothing you can be nicked for.
Thus, you can't be prosecuted for contravening the Highway Code? It's the legislation behind it that gets you.

Thus, you can't be prosecuted for contravening the Highway Code? It's the legislation behind it that gets you.
As I understand it, yes.

Who would have thunk that's the point I was arguing all along.

Not quite accurate, the red arrow should also be pointing at the footpath/pavement. Anywhere except the cycle path.
Hence why it’s a starter pack, I believe to graduate to ‘Utter Cnut’ involves learning to ride solely onto the footpath.

Hence why it’s a starter pack, I believe to graduate to ‘Utter Cnut’ involves learning to ride solely onto the footpath.
No, it involves acquiring a BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Volvo/Jaguar. Most pass through this stage with age and ascend to “doddery auld cnut” at which stage their one ton penis extension morphs into a Honda Civic.

No, it involves acquiring a BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Volvo/Jaguar. Most pass through this stage with age and ascend to “doddery auld cnut” at which stage their one ton penis extension morphs into a Honda Civic.
Hey I've got a Merc thank you very much and I'm not a doddery auld cnu oh wait!!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Only a 'code' for guidance, not the law ;-)
BUT in court it will be quoted , and you will find yourself charged and fined on that basis
the electrical regulations are not law, but if you cock up the Judge will have them explained ( they have been simplified ) and again your fine and or prison time will be based upon that

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Never owned a car from the land of Nippon.
you would be surpised at just how many motorcars would not run without Japanese and German components and know how
my Italian Motorcycle has Japanese electrics, apart from the Shite french start motor

Niamac

GCM
Oh dear, how unfortunate:

Latest Threads