B&W British film- Help

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Private_Pike, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to remember the name of a post war black and white film set in London based around the adverntures of a group of kids. The action takes place solely within London and the debris of a bombed out post blitz city. The plot involves the kids foiling a group of villains, led by a corrupt detective, who get their plans from a comic book. I can't remeber any of the actors either- just remeber it with nostalgia as being a good example of what a good film industry we once had.

2. Hi
    The film was Hue & Cry starring Jack (Dixon of Dock Green) Warner

A plucky schoolboy uncovers a plot to organise robberies through codes planted in a comic strip, in Ealing Studio's first acknowledged comedy
    Eccentric boys' adventure writer Felix H Wilkinson (Sim) has his copy - "The Enthralling Adventures of Selwyn Pike and his Youthful Assistant Smiler" - altered by master crooks, using a special code through the pages of kids' comic 'Trump'. Only sharp-eyed schoolboy Joe Kirby (Fowler) seems to have noticed, but fails to convince a sceptical Detective Inspector Ford (Lambert). Undeterred, Kirby enlists the help of a gang of bombsite-dwelling little cockneys, the self-styled 'Blood and Thunder Boys' to up-end the criminals' dastardly plans. Wilkinson is persuaded to alter his copy and catch the robbers, headed by Kirby's boss Nightingale (Warner, cast against type as a baddie), and Trump secretary Rhona Watson (White).

3. Cheers Turvey- very helpful first post
    checking it out online it had a great cast including Alistair Sim and Warner interestingly cast as the villain. One of the first Ealing comedies- they don't make 'em like this anymore.

4. Hi, thanks.
    This was a great film I totally agree with you, give me a film from Ealing over most Hollywood films any day. Its strange this country could once make great films, aircraft, huge advances in science and now........... ! only excuses.

5. Great film but also loads of rare footage of bomb-damaged London.

I think in later years, Harry Fowler married the female juvenile lead. I don't know if any of the other youngsters carried on in acting business.

I'd have loved to have seen Fowler and a load of other greats in 'The Army Game' but I don't know if any footage still exists of that series.

6. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Army-Game-1-5-remaining-episodes/dp/B001B8CBNY

According to IMDB, Harry Fowler appeared in one episode.

7. For me, the footage of bombed out London is part of what makes this film so great. Imagine trying to film in those conditions today with the Health and Safety Nazis about.

8. Oh Yes.
    The Ealing Comedies show similar scenes from post Blitz London.
    I think "Passport to Pimlico" was one of them. Great film.

Edited to add:
    "Health and Safety Nazis about....."
    Rather those Luftwaffe Nazis overhead?