B#stard

I signed up for tank crewman with the RAC, passed the BARB test and the first medical so all i needed to do was pass the physical and i could start learning to be a tankie. Two weeks before the trip to the Physical test centre and i sprain my pissing ankle playing football with mates on the most UNEVEN pitch you could want to find. Now i have about 3 months of my defferal period left untill i can finally get in and its killing me. You probablary dont really want to know but i had to just write it down because otherwise i could kill someone im so fuc#ed off. Anyone got any info on the QRH and are they good lads in there? Cheers :frustrated:

It's as good as it gets in the QRH. Good bunch of lads, good working environment. Lots going on for everyone.

GDav said:
It's as good as it gets in the QRH.
Falls off chair.

GDav said:
Good bunch of lads, good working environment. Lots going on for everyone.
Indeed so;
Shiny things to dress up in, Donkeys to wallop and silly old barstewards to tell you lies.

Don't think I've missed anything... :thumleft:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A friend of mine is the sister of a guy I served with in the 70s. A year or two back she was pleased as punch that his son, her nephew, had decided to go into recce, even if it was with the 9/12L, and he'd be training at Winchester (which came as a surprise to me because Winchester was my last posting and I still work there: didn't realise that RAC crewmen did training in my neighbourhood). The lad's father wasn't exactly impressed at his son not following him into 15/19H (okay LD) but there it was.

So I showed enthusiasm and wished him well and looked forward to seeing them at his passing out (I suspect it was last February: where have the years gone?).

Then it was announced that he was on hold while they repaired his knee after some similar injury to that described. The Army would have kept him on until he was fit again, but ultimately he walked. I guess it saved him from a career in 9/12L.

Our squad in training had a lad who had done a year, mostly awaiting a knee that would enable him to complete his training. He did it again, deep into trade training and walked ... or rather limped.

Then there was a lad Wor Lass knew. He was an apprentice for the Gunners (no the football team, not the Dropshorts). Did his knee and they discarded him like last night's pizza box. So he joined the Marines and apparently made a goos career for himself whilst ticking two fingers up at the Gooners. I know which salary scale I'd rather be on though.

PE4rocks said:
GDav said:
Falls off chair.

GDav said:
Indeed so;
Shiny things to dress up in, Donkeys to wallop and silly old barstewards to tell you lies.

Oh dear, such jealousy. Frankly gentlemen - I appalled. :shakefist:

GDav said:
PE4rocks said:
GDav said:
Falls off chair.

GDav said:
Indeed so;

Oh dear, such jealousy. Frankly gentlemen - I appalled. :shakefist:
Am you?

marshall22 said:
I signed up for tank crewman with the RAC, passed the BARB test and the first medical so all i needed to do was pass the physical and i could start learning to be a tankie. Two weeks before the trip to the Physical test centre and i sprain my pissing ankle playing football with mates on the most UNEVEN pitch you could want to find. Now i have about 3 months of my defferal period left untill i can finally get in and its killing me. You probablary dont really want to know but i had to just write it down because otherwise i could kill someone im so fuc#ed off. Anyone got any info on the QRH and are they good lads in there? Cheers :frustrated:
Im still with The Queens Royal Hussars and we are the best lads you can find(honest). What do you want to know???

Bigbaldski said:
Im not sure if KDs little black boxing boots would last nowaday's!!!
Whats your plans for Paddy's day GDav????
Aye but they might need somebody to paint a muriel in the Cpl's Mess?

I was going to Catterick mate but I've had to pull out because of illness.

GDav said:
Bigbaldski said:

Whats Muriel look like then mate? I hope she's a good looking bint otherwise you will be putting everybody off thier beer, espiecially 'Ski'!!! :blowkiss:

soprano54 said:
GDav said:
Bigbaldski said:

Whats Muriel look like then mate? I hope she's a good looking bint otherwise you will be putting everybody off thier beer, espiecially 'Ski'!!! :blowkiss:
By way of explanation:

Probably because 4RTR left a muriel in the NAAFI at York Kaserne, Munster, it was decided to paint one up the staircase which led to the Cpls Mess. KD volunteered to do the artistry and was relieved of tank park duties for several weeks while he did so. Several weeks dragged into a month and there was little more than a sketch in pencil on the walls. What was noticable during that period was that KD would emerge for meals as a frail wobbly thing and subsequent stocktakes noted a few 40% bottles of 'biff' missing from stock.

The muriel was eventually finished - a beautiful thing depicting heroic figures and scenes from Irish mythology but there was a certain post modern, surrealist feel about the whole thing :meditate:

GDav said:
By way of explanation:

Probably because 4RTR left a muriel in the NAAFI at York Kaserne, Munster, it was decided to paint one up the staircase which led to the Cpls Mess. KD volunteered to do the artistry and was relieved of tank park duties for several weeks while he did so. Several weeks dragged into a month and there was little more than a sketch in pencil on the walls. What was noticable during that period was that KD would emerge for meals as a frail wobbly thing and subsequent stocktakes noted a few 40% bottles of 'biff' missing from stock.

The muriel was eventually finished - a beautiful thing depicting heroic figures and scenes from Irish mythology but there was a certain post modern, surrealist feel about the whole thing :meditate:
Oh a mural!!! Silly me, must have been your accent/spelling!!! :plotting:

soprano54 said:
GDav said:
Bigbaldski said:

It would take more than some munter called Muriel to put me off my beer, especially on paddys day!! I will be spending it down here in Dorsaaat!! A few old faces normally turn up ,big Jerry C and Ivor R!!
Plenty of Bushmills and soda bread(can't wait)!!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cpls Mess 15/19H, Paderborn was running at such a huge profit and the arms plot was threatening a move back to the UK and VAT and stuff that the RSM dictated - sorry, I mean put to the vote - that some of the money be used to tart it up a little (a LOT).

It had a disco room out the back. Somebody, sometime long before I became a JNCO, had painted the disco room vehicle Matt Black, including the windows (it was like someone had connected the paint to a garden sprayer and left it on for a year), and painted a muriel on a musical theme. The only thing I can remember now was lifted from the cover of Rod Stewart's album Sailing, showing a stylised ship and a blond bloke in a pair of disco pants.

We scraped the paint off the windows and painted the frames white and when the light hit it, instantly we discovered what a snakepit the Mess had been all these years.

Undercoat or whatever over the black and new furniture and it was looking good already. Then we hung the wallpaper over a weekend. Everybody came in and hung a strip and it was very little effort. Wor Lass always thought there was something wrong with the wallpaper but couldn't quite place it.

Then next weekend we went to the local Chinky. She recognised the wallpaper in the Chinky and saw it was the same as the new stuff in the mess. Except ... the first sheet in the Chinky hadn't been hung upside down and, unlike in the mess where everyone who came along to hang the rest sheet had simply followed the pattern, the whole restuarant had the pattern the right way up.

soprano54 said:
GDav said:
By way of explanation:

Oh a mural!!! Silly me, must have been your accent/spelling!!! :plotting:
It is as regional idiosyncracy which I find amusing and do not supress.

Kind of like yokels going Ooooh Ahhhhh, or bah eck, ave you seent price of that!

Latest Threads