B & Q - more rubbish than ever?

Since leaving the Service just over a year ago, I have refurbished our own house and a small cottage in the Dales which we've finally managed to holiday let after all this CV19 nonsense.

I use a variety of suppliers, but (sadly) much of it comes from B&Q, where I have a TradePoint account, spending about £500-£1000 a month. Two weeks ago I purchased three lengths of self-adhesive quarter-round bath trim. Two lengths were fine however the third had no adhesive at all. I learned this after I had cut the requisit lengths on a mitre saw and then peeled off the protective plastic. Nothing. no glue.

So after carting the pieces up and down the country, I popped into a branch of B&Q and attempted to return it, with the original wrapping and receipt (£9.85).

Conversation went like this:

"I'd like to return this sealing strip as it is devoid of adhesive"
"Can't take it back because you've cut it."
"It was only after I cut it I found that there was no glue on it"
"You shoud have checked beforehand that there was glue on it"
"I had used two previous strips without any problem. Now, you've sold something that isn't of saleable quality. I'd really like my money back."
"I feel threatened by you. I will call the manager"...
...(Manager) "My colleague is right. As you have cut the trim we can't take it back. And don't shout"
"I'm not shouting; if you care to notice I am deaf [bilateral hearing aids visible] and that is why I ask you to look at me when you are speaking. But you have sold me something that is defective. I woud really like my money back."
"But, Sir, as you have cut it, you've used it"
"Perhaps you could get a member of staff who has a modicum of DIY knowledge." (followed by manager flounce)
...another manager turns up "Can I help you?"
"Yes, I bought this strip two weeks ago, but it is not self adhesive as advertised"
"But you've cut it; you should have checked beforehand."
"I did (you fool, muttered under my breath) but you can't cut it if you take the self adhesive protective strip off, becasue it, err, sticks to everything. And where does it say that you have to check the strip for being sufficiently sticky before using it?"
"We'll have to take it back to the manufacturer and they can put glue on it."
"Are you serious? It's made by B&Q..."
"I'll have to get the manager (and talks into handset)"
"But I thought you were the manager?"
"Well, sort of..."
...Another person turns up. "What seems to be the problem?"
I explain, painfully slow, so the staff can keep up.
"Oh, yes a refund is appropriate. We've had problems with these strips. Sorry to have caused you trouble."

Luckily I now have access to a number of independent suppliers so buying less and less from B&Q. In case anyone is interested, I have written to B&Q Customer Services highlighting this - and other - aspects of customer service.

There, there, I feel much better.

So my points are as follows:
  • Should they have accepted that the item was not as advertised (ie self-adhesive) and offered me a replacement or a refund, rather than reverting to the nonsense 'You've cut it therefore we can't give a refund'?
  • Why is B&Q so sh!t these days?

Last edited:
Since leaving the Service just over a year ago, I have refurbished our own house and a small cottage in the Dales which we've finally managed to holiday let after all this CV19 nonsense.

I use a variety of suppliers, but (sadly) much of it comes from B&Q, where I have a TradePoint account, spending about £500-£1000 a month. Two weeks ago I purchased three lengths of self-adhesive quarter-round bath trim. Two lengths were fine however the third had no adhesive at all. I learned this after I had cut the requisit lengths on a mitre saw and then peeled off the protective plastic. Nothing. no glue.

So after carting the pieces up and down the country, I popped into a branch of B&Q and attempted to return it, with the original wrapping and receipt (£9.85).

Conversation went like this:

"I'd like to return this sealing strip as it is devoid of adhesive"
"Can't take it back because you've cut it."
"It was only after I cut it I found that there was no glue on it"
"You shoud have checked beforehand that there was glue on it"
"I had used two previous strips without any problem. Now, you've sold something that isn't of saleable quality. I'd really like my money back."
"I feel threatened by you. I will call the manager"...
...(Manager) "My colleague is right. As you have cut the trim we can't take it back. And don't shout"
"I'm not shouting; if you care to notice I am deaf [bilateral hearing aids visible] and that is why I ask you to look at me when you are speaking. But you have sold me something that is defective. I woud really like my money back."
"But, Sir, as you have cut it, you've used it"
"Perhaps you could get a member of staff who has a modicum of DIY knowledge." (followed by manager flounce)
...another manager turns up "Can I help you?"
"Yes, I bought this strip two weeks ago, but it is not self adhesive as advertised"
"But you've cut it; you should have checked beforehand."
"I did (you fool, muttered under my breath) but you can't cut it if you take the self adhesive protective strip off, becasue it, err, sticks to everything. And where does it say that you have to check the strip for being sufficiently sticky before using it?"
"We'll have to take it back to the manufacturer and they can put glue on it."
"Are you serious? It's made by B&Q..."
"I'll have to get the manager (and talks into handset)"
"But I thought you were the manager?"
"Well, sort of..."
...Another person turns up. "What seems to be the problem?"
I explain, painfully slow, so the staff can keep up.
"Oh, yes a refund is appropriate. We've had problems with these strips. Sorry to have caused you trouble."

Luckily I now have access to a number of independent suppliers so buying less and less from B&Q. In case anyone is interested, I have written to B&Q Customer Services highlighting this - and other - aspects of customer service.

There, there, I feel much better.

And your point is....?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
And your point is....?
His point appears to be B&Q Customer service is a bit tonk. I agree.

If there is any other blindingly obvious post you'd like explaining, please don't contact me.

Is there a SCREWFIX branch nearby? Same company/group. Similar product line. Much reduced prices.

Same principle as ARGOS with catalogue/on-line, click-and-collect.

Memory jog:-
Opening a packet of drawing pins, one was found without a spike, just the cap, so for shits and giggles me and a few lads took the whole box back to the hardware store, opposite Hounslow west underground station, and confronted the shop assistant, who looking quite perplexed at 3 squaddies, called the manager, who just laughed, and very ceremoniously took another one out of a packet on display and handed it over, as though it were the crown jewels, laughs all round,.......... There, after 47 years, the full story is out, I feel so much better.

Tried B&Q last week, after standing in a Q for long enough, for an SDS drill&chuck extension.
Nobody knew what it was, nobody could find one, and after my inspecting the drill stuff shelves, they had none, which is why I asked....could have had some in back-stock
Tool Station round the corner, jobbed in a minute. Never used them before, but picked up a catalogue and I will be as much as possible form now on. I've a Screwfix locally as well..but the Q was too long. The B&Q staff just failed the attitude test, it was not so much they were out of stock. Can't be arrseed with that.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've had one or two customer services issues with other companies in the past. If you hit a wall with the first person you speak with, it is how you frame your next statement that I find effective. Something like "You are clearly not empowered to make a decision regarding this matter, please pass me to someone who is."

His point appears to be B&Q Customer service is a bit tonk. I agree.

If there is any other blindingly obvious post you'd like explaining, please don't contact me.

I disagree, as I had ordered many fence panel's from them, ( B&Q Bilston) and a delivery time and date was quoted,, they failed to deliver on date and time, I phoned them, they apologised, and promised to deliver the following day, which they did, and reimbursed the Delivery charge.

Screwfix is the far better option IMO. Even Wickes at a push, but you have to spend time selecting the wood as half of it is so bent it gets it's own pride parade.
Fortunately we have a really good builders warehouse near us that supplies everything at cheap cheap prices.
Travis, Jewsons and Gibbs and Dandy are ridiculously expensive for some products.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've had one or two customer services issues with other companies in the past. If you hit a wall with the first person you speak with, it is how you frame your next statement that I find effective. Something like "You are clearly not empowered to make a decision regarding this matter, please pass me to someone who is."
I'll just leave this here.

Feel free to read my referred earlier post to set the scene if you so choose.

It used to be a marketing tenet that if a person recieved good service they would tell 3 people, if the service was bad it would be 9 people.

I thing the internet may have skewed those figures a bit.

Opening a packet of drawing pins, one was found without a spike, just the cap, so for shits and giggles me and a few lads took the whole box back to the hardware store, opposite Hounslow west underground station, and confronted the shop assistant, who looking quite perplexed at 3 squaddies, called the manager, who just laughed, and very ceremoniously took another one out of a packet on display and handed it over, as though it were the crown jewels, laughs all round,.......... There, after 47 years, the full story is out, I feel so much better.
Of course you did.

1594717140620.gif

I am using Wickes, more and more over B&Q.

Screwfix is the far better option IMO. Even Wickes at a push, but you have to spend time selecting the wood as half of it is so bent it gets it's own pride parade.
Fortunately we have a really good builders warehouse near us that supplies everything at cheap cheap prices.
Travis, Jewsons and Gibbs and Dandy are ridiculously expensive for some products.

Tool station are very good, I have never had any issues with them and their service is quick and efficient.
I required a welding mask, , A sip auto flash type, £38, in and out in 2 minutes.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I disagree, as I had ordered many fence panel's from them, ( B&Q Bilston) and a delivery time and date was quoted,, they failed to deliver on date and time, I phoned them, they apologised, and promised to deliver the following day, which they did, and reimbursed the Delivery charge.
Ah, so you did comprehend the point of the thread, you just disagreed with its premise. Why not say that in future instead of getting all huffy? Are you one of those octogenarian assistants they hire because apparently age confers expertise in all matter DIY?*

Screwfix is better for tools & spares in my experience, and Homebase tends to have straight wood available without the obligatory B&Q irritating coffin dodger boring you to death.

*It doesn't, it just turns them into unfunny tribute acts to Harry Enfield ("You don't want to do it like that")

Back in 73 I was 23, 10 sigs was a soft posting, very lax, easy going, to alleviate boredom we resorted to our own very unique ways to counter this, another was borrowing from the film and TV studios at Twickenham, who used the camp for occasional filming , one being the dick emery show, and on several occasions blue peter, various costumes, and going out to local pubs, who knew us, dressed up as spacemen, fred flintstone etc. Different world, different time. Different mind-set.

Last edited:

Latest Threads