[b]JOLP[/b] - The Way Ahead Or Fluffy Civvy Pump?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by The_RTR_Star, Jun 19, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey y'all

I've just returned from the Junior Officers Leadership Programme seminars, and my co-internees and I find ourselves with really contrasting opinions on the material that's eschewed by the ETS Instructors.

There's some good stuff in there, I'm sure, such as the value of PDRs, and reminders about aspects of leadership, psych-contract, and small points picked up from eachother.

HOWEVER, it seem's that the whole package is wrapped and presented in so much civvy-softy-fluffy-RAFesque-airy-fairy attitude and approach that I can't help but think that it will be wholly slated by almost everyone, and the good bits (some of which I've definitley missed out on) fall by the wayside.

Somebody please help to restore the hard edge of reality to a career development path that offers so much promise and by the same measure has the potential to push us even further from being good, pragmatic and effective leaders/managers/commanders.

Doing tick sheets answering questions about allowing "work line subordinates" (aka Tpr Suchlike) to chair and manage team meetings, set against the reality of being regularly mortared/rpg'ed and clearing up the remains of children's bodies after a VBIED attack - it's not really cricket is it?

Does any body agree/disagree?

2. I think i'd have to agree. Lots of good content, and reminded us a lot of how things should be when dealing with a tp/pl and their management. But a lot seemed to be lifted from a kind of David Brent-esqu management school. Not sure how building marshmellow towers and talking about feelings is going to help!! (Being put up in a hotel in Herford was nice though)

Go get the guitar

3. I think i'd have to agree. Lots of good content, and reminded us a lot of how things should be when dealing with a tp/pl and their management. But a lot seemed to be lifted from a kind of David Brent-esqu management school. Not sure how building marshmellow towers and talking about feelings is going to help!! (Being put up in a hotel in Herford was nice though)

Go get the guitar

4. I think that it depends alot on which AEC you go to and who the Officer Tutor is. I expected it to be alot of lets sit around the camp fire and pass the piece pipe mumbo jumbo. However I was mistaken. Our OT was ex Inf and was very switched on. He knew that we expected it to be pump, and brought up alot of good points from his own experience, and from our own.

All in all a worthwhile course, however coul be done in 2 1/2 days rather than 1 week :!: :!: :?:

5. Must say I thought the cse was 80% drivel, and I would class the Tutor I had as excellant, subject matter is the issue. They really should be covering this stuff far earlier and with a direct military focus.