B & I Lions tour of Australia 2013

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Murphy_Slaw, Nov 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We've had the world cup thread. We have a six nations 2012 thread. So here is the Lions tour thread. Instead of insular national rivalry and the usual suspects slagging off (insert home nation here) we can all get together and cheer a team with a real chance of beating the Wallabies on home soil........as long as there's not too many Welsh in the team!

The British & Irish Lions : Match Archive

I know it seems like a long time to wait, but there is only 2 six nations tournaments before the squad is picked, and with lots of youngsters starting to make their mark in all the home nations, I think it could be a great Lions team.
    If the management team are anything to go by, it's in the bag. check this lot out!

The British & Irish Lions : Tour Management

I wonder if the Operatoions Manager needs an assistant!!

So anyone know David Campese's e-mail address, so I can get the first shot in?
  2. I see there is already speculation starting on the 6 nations thread about the possible Lions squad. So as not too derail it I thought I might ressarect this thread.
    So who's making a claim for the trip down under and who's out?

So far I think Farrell could have the nod over Sexton.
    Halfpenny is the only Welsh back doing it at the moment.
    Can BOD have one last hurrah?..I hope so.
    We seem to have 6 or 7 back row forwards for 3 places.
    Here's one from left field Tim Visser for a wing slot.
    Everyone said that Wharburton would capt. the Liona this time last year, but I think he might struggle to make the squad.

I know there's still a way to go yet but selection for the Lions must be in the players minds.
  3. I see that Greenwood is championing Robshaw for captain.
  4. Am I alone in thinking Mike Brown has had a brilliant tournament and has been the stand-out left winger for me..gets over the gain line and doesn't miss tackles. Plays full-back for his club and should be a serious contender.
  5. I mentioned it on the 6N thread, and it's a genuine question because I don't know .
    Where do the non-British players currently playing for the Home Nations stand with regards to eligibility?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  6. They qualify. Loads of foreigners have played for the Lions. Riki Flutey being the first one that comes to mind.
  7. A team with a real chance of beating the Wallabies on home soil? Just pick the Scots. They did just that last year, unlike others who tried. As usual, however, it'll be the usual carve up between England and Wales.
  8. I disagree.

Gatland is no mug and knows he will have to pick a fair representation from each of the Home Nations. As Murphy Slaw has pointed out on the 6N thread, harmony and team work will be far more important to the success of the tour than picking an over-representation - no matter how well deserved - from one or two countries. That's a no-win situation for the management and would sour the touring party from Day 1.

There are very fine margins between the top players. Should a couple of the best from one country be left at home to accommodate and maintain a good balance to the touring party, then so be it. The difference in 'class' is marginal (or it should be) and playing with the best will bring out the best in them. Gatland, as an experienced Coach, knows this.

Anyway, there's bound to be loads of injuries so players who missed out initially will have every chance of being called-up during the course of the tour.

So, no need to get bitter...yet.
  9. The choice of captain is an interesting one. Of course it doesn't have to be someone who captains his own national side, which may be a good thing this year.

Robshaw has done a good job for England but might not get into the side as a player. Warburton was seen as a shoo in after the Welsh Grand Slam, but is not any more - indeed isn't even starting for Wales next game. Where might Ryan Jones fit in? Might be seen too much as a utility back row now, and not an automatic choice to start in any event. BO'D? possibly if uninjured by the end of the 6N and if he would command a starting place. Heaslip or Kelly Brown? But have they enough experience as captains - do they command the respect necessary? Or perhaps AN Other - as we saw with the last Lions tour when O'Connell was Captain.
  10. And so it starts, with two rounds of the six nations still to go the speculation about who will get the nod have started with a vengance.

Pick your Lions team to beat Australia in 2013 - Telegraph

See if you agree with the Telegraph readership, the majority of whom are presumably English!

I know this poll is an old one but below are the results.

Who should be Lions full-back?
    Mike Brown 3.87%

Ben Foden 12.72%

Leigh Halfpenny 33.03%

Rob Kearney 47.16%

Lee Byrne 3.22%

Who should be Lions right wing?

Chris Ashton 30.16%

Alex Cuthbert 20.94%

Tommy Bowe 47.22%

Sean Lamont 1.68%

Who should be Lions outside centre?
    Brian O'Driscoll 36.24%

Manu Tuilagi 39.82%

Keith Earls 0.88%

Jonathan Davies 21.8%

Scott Williams 1.25%

Who should be Lions inside centre?
    Brad Barritt 3.29%

Jamie Roberts 89.34%

Gavin Henson 2.39%

Owen Farrell 2.59%

Gordon D'Arcy 2%

Who should be Lions left wing?
    George North 86.5%

Tim Visser 7.25%

Ugo Monye 2.48%

Andrew Trimble 2.33%

Tom Varndell 1.44%

Who should be Lions fly-half?
    Jonny Wilkinson 19.55%

Rhys Priestland 11.41%

Jonny Sexton 51.34%

Toby Flood 13.14%

Owen Farrell 5%

Who should be Lions scrum-half?
    Danny Care 37.13%

Ben Youngs 15.96%

Mike Phillips 39.47%

Mike Blair 4.11%

Conor Murray 3.33%

Who should be Lions loosehead prop?
    Gethin Jenkins Joe Marler Alex Corbisiero Cian Healy
    VoteView Results

Who should be Lions hooker?
    Matthew Rees 18.04%

Richardt Strauss 10.59%

Dylan Hartley 56.51%

Ross Ford 15%

Who should be Lions tighthead prop?
    Adam Jones 48.75%

Dan Cole 45.47%

Mike Ross 5.21%

Aaron Jarvis 0.57%

Who should be Lions lock?
    Paul O'Connell 18.18%

Courtney Lawes 22.61%

Alun Wyn Jones 12.21%

Richie Gray 34.76%

Geoff Parling 3.3%

Donncha O'Callaghan 1.57%

Luke Charteris 5.89%

Mouritz Botha 1.46%

Who should be Lions blindside flanker?
    Tom Croft 23.81%

Stephen Ferris 32.05%

Dan Lydiate 39.12%

Tom Johnson 2.32%

Ryan Jones 3%

Who should be Lions openside flanker?
    Sam Warburton 61.85%

Chris Robshaw 13.85%

Steffon Armitage 13.37%

Sean O'Brien 10.93%

Who should be Lions No 8?
    Ben Morgan 13.73%

Toby Faletau 28.18%

Jamie Heaslip 42.44%

Thomas Waldrom 2.86%

Dave Denton 12.79%

Who should be Lions captain?
    Chris Robshaw 14.7%

Sam Warburton 56.94%

Paul O'Connell 7.68%

Brian O'Driscoll 21%
  11. Johnny Wilkinson getting 19.55% of the votes for Outside Half.
    Were they pissed when they voted that way, or was this poll conducted back in 1999?

Edit: Mind you, looking at some of the other options in other positions I think the Womens Fashion Editor started this poll.

Gavin Henson at Inside Centre? Shit a brick!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. There's an awful lot of rugby to be played yet. Still plenty of time for some 'certs' to feck-it-up and some dark horseys to enter stage left.

On current form there'd be a lot less Welsh and Irish players than first thought - but come the end of the 6N perhaps a lot less English and Scottish than we imagine at this precise moment in time.

All in all and to sum up... Feck knows !!

Just noticed - 666...the number of the Beast.:twisted::twisted::twisted: Well it was when I posted it.
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mike Blair retired from international rugby so is unlikely to play for the Lions!

When was this survey?
  14. Can't look much further than Halfpenny for full back, with Hogg as second choice.

Could anyone argue against Cuthbert and North on the wings? I doubt it. Not sure on the second strings. Not Ashton though. Visser maybe, possibly Zebo.

Centre is a conundrum, Tuilagi, Davies, Roberts all in with a shout. I think BO'D is finished, personally.

No 10 is a problem. No outstanding candidate. The Scots and Irish boys are too young and inexperienced. May be Flood and Farrell. Possibly Biggar to travel.

I'd pick the Weslh front row wholesale. The Welsh scrum destroyed other packs in the tight, and were very streetwise as well as having technique and strength. Cole and Healey in with a shout.

Locks? Gray (if fit), Parling, Wyn Jones and Lawes?

Back row - Warburton on the openside all day long. Stand out candidate.My choice for captain. Tipuric must travel. As should Robshaw. Faletau for one of the No 8 berths. Not sure about blindside.

I know its Wales/England heavy, but they were the best two sides by a country mile. I accept that there has to be a balance of nations to make up a decent Lions squad. But who would you not take from the above? Which others would travel, and which Irish and Scots should travel, and why?
    • Like Like x 1