[b]BID FOR ENGLAND RUGBY SHIRT AND HELP FAMILIES[/b]

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rhino_Stopper, Jan 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :!: FROM EBAY...
    Did you read "The Sun" newspaper this morning? (Fri 23 Jan 04) Please consider the following................. Are you the MD of a successful company, yet to make a tax-deductible donation to a worthy charity this year? Are you a keen sports fan with more than a few quid to spare? Are you an obscenely wealthy individual seeking a worthy cause in order to combine a generous charitable donation and a very prudent investment? If the answer to any of the above is yes, then this rare and sought after item could be the one for you. This genuine match day England shirt - from the team's own stock, has been signed by 26 members of the winning England squad and was procured for me by the Brisbane Branch of the Australian Military Police Association. Their branch Vice-President, Aidan Handyside, literally camped out on the Team's hotel doorstep until the management agreed to meet with him. Once he explained our plan to sell a signed shirt in order to aid the families of the 9 British Royal Military Policemen killed in Iraq last summer, they were more than happy to oblige. A letter of provenance from the Australian Military Police Association comes with the shirt. If you examine the close-ups of the shirt, you will see quite clearly the original signatures of Jonny Wilkinson, Mike Catt, Martin Johnson, Lawrence Daglalio and many others. Still attached are the metal and card tags marked "injured police" by hand to indicate to the team the aim of its sale. Every penny made on the sale of this shirt will be placed in a special benevolent fund designed to help the 9 bereaved families and their 8 children, sadly left behind. This shirt, properly displayed, could be the centrepiece of a lounge, study, office or foyer.

EXCLUSIVE

A top tip, Tamzin

Appeal ... telly Tamzin
    with signed England shirt
    Picture: PETER SIMPSON

By JOHN KAY
    Chief Reporter
    TELLY army cop Tamzin Outhwaite yesterday launched an operation to raise cash for the families of nine military policemen killed in Iraq.

Tamzin, star of BBC hit Red Cap, donned her uniform to promote a special England rugby shirt up for auction on internet site eBay.

Rugby hero ... Jonny

The shirt, signed by 26 of England's World Cup winning heroes - including Jonny Wilkinson and Martin Johnson - has a reserve price of £7,000.

All cash from the sale will be donated to the families of the tragic soldiers - including their eight children.

The Royal Military Police has suffered the biggest losses of any British Army unit in Iraq.

Killed ... Sgt Hamilton-Jewell (left) and Cpl Russell Aston

Six Red Caps were massacred in a single incident north of Basra last June. RMP senior NCO, Staff Sgt David Forsey, 42, began raising cash and has already raked in £10,000.

Pals in the Australian military police in Brisbane persuaded England's rugby stars to sign the shirt.

Tamzin, 33, said: "Having played Sgt Jo McDonagh in Red Cap for so long, I've come to know personally a number of RMP soldiers.

Dead ... Cpl Paul Long (left) and Cpl Simon Miller

"When I heard some had been killed in Iraq I was shocked and appalled.

"So I'm extremely happy to do what I can to support this worthwhile appeal on behalf of all the RMP families who lost loved ones in the Gulf war.

"I hope sports fans everywhere will take this opportunity to support our forces and bid for this unique shirt."

Tragic ... L/Cpl Benjamin Hyde (left) and L/Cpl Thomas Keys

The six killed last June were Sgt Simon Hamilton-Jewell, Cpl Russell Aston, Cpl Paul Long, Cpl Simon Miller, L/Cpl Benjamin Hyde, and L/Cpl Thomas Keys.

TO bid for the shirt visit Ebay.co.uk and either go to the category sports memorabilia or type RMP England Rugby World Cup Shirt.

DONATIONS can be sent to: Lt Col J H Baber, MBE, Roussillon Barracks, Chichester PO19 4BL (Cheques made out to RMP CBF).

:!:

2. Tamzin, 33, said: "Having played Sgt Jo McDonagh in Red Cap for so long, I've come to know personally a number of RMP soldiers.

Interested to know just how personally & who it was she knows! Anyone shed any light?

3. Any ideas how to publicise this some more ?

4. Soldier mag, local press and regional news (especially where the lads came from and Essex - Colchester based)), AGC and RMP corps magazines. Try phoning SKY. U never know. Good luck.

5. If Johnny Wilkinson is involved there will be an enterage of press men stood waiting in the wings for a story.....

Tamsin could offer favours for the highest bidder