Awol's photos

Awol

LE
perhaps a family fallingout ?
I was given an album of pictures of when my Grandmother remarried, it contained lots of extended family photos
I pinged the young woman on FB, she never replied
I’ve considered that, especially as my dad had an irreconcilable falling out with his parents when he was 18. Despite that, I still had an overwhelming urge to track down his mum a few years ago, just before she died. After she died, I tracked down my dad’s sister and despite the very bad feeling between my parents and my dad’s mother, the sister and I got on like a house on fire.

I don’t think bad feeling in a family lasts more than a generation, besides which, if I’m right, the evidence points to a loving family to this day.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve considered that, especially as my dad had an irreconcilable falling out with his parents when he was 18. Despite that, I still had an overwhelming urge to track down his mum a few years ago, just before she died. After she died, I tracked down my dad’s sister and despite the very bad feeling between my parents and my dad’s mother, the sister and I got on like a house on fire.

I don’t think bad feeling in a family lasts more than a generation, besides which, if I’m right, the evidence points to a loving family to this day.
weirdly, we had a bit of that in our family, one of the younger cousins passed away after a motorcycle accident
50 years ago now
and then I get contacted by a lady down under, its his daughter, her mother kept it quite, the parents moved her away and she married another chap, the daughter only found out after her mum passed away, a letter was left with the solicitor
I was able to give her a picture of her mother and father, and her grandparents, and some of their letters

M. Oudin might not be with us any longer, he'd be in his late '70s.
I think M. Jean-Claude Andre Oudin died in December 2019. He'd been born in 1942 in Troyes.

Look what I’ve just found….

That just has to be our man.

I’ve got his number.
It may not be or, if it is, he may have already passed on.
Andre seems to be a popular name for Grasset boys; Andre Grasset seems to have been a Catholic priest martyred during the French revolution.

I'm hoping it is though.

Awol

LE
I think M. Jean-Claude Andre Oudin died in December 2019. He'd been born in 1942 in Troyes.

It may not be or, if it is, he may have already passed on.
Andre seems to be a popular name for Grasset boys; Andre Grasset seems to have been a Catholic priest martyred during the French revolution.

I'm hoping it is though.
Me too.

The thing about this particular Andre Grasset is that he lives in Oradour-Sur-Glane which Louis Grasset watched being destroyed, and is 15km from my old house.

It might not be him, but I’ve got to follow such a good lead.

@Awol as promised, I just had the phone call.

Sadly it's not the GRASSET André you are looking for.

Bit of a weird call, as his elderly wife answered and was going to pass me onto her husband who shouted out "I'm not free". I asked when I could ring back and she said "oh I don't think he'll be long". Obviously caught him at a delicate moment!

There was then a conversation when I explained to the wife why I was ringing, she would shout through the house to her husband, who would reply, then she relayed it back to me!

His sister was Marie-Louise Grasset, she is deceased and she didn't have sons called Christophe or Frédéric.

So it's back to the hunt for the real one.

Sorry :cry:

Okaaay….. we have a puzzling detail.

I know from the first album I looked at that it was owned by a Marie Grasset, who, it appears from @Sadurina ‘s excellent research appears to have lived from 1910 until 2011.

View attachment 641681

The photos in that album date from the early fifties, but pictures in both albums show young men and women and babies etc.

To complicate things further, I’ve just discovered a recipe book owned by a Marie Senon, which from the style of the exercise book can’t be any earlier than the forties (with everything written in a fountain pen). Confusingly, the book seems to contain different handwriting styles.

View attachment 641696

View attachment 641687View attachment 641688View attachment 641689View attachment 641690

The handwriting in the second picture above looks very much like the notations on the back of the (1950s) photos.

So, if Grasset was Marie’s married name, as seems likely, who was Marie Senon? It can’t be the same person because the recipe book was (I’m guessing) probably school or college work and when it was written, Marie Grasset would have been in her fifties. It can’t be her daughter or even granddaughter because of the difference in surname and at school or college Marie Senon would have obviously been too young to have been married.

Any ideas folks?
There's a Marie Senon (born 1905) on another branch of that family tree, I think a grand-daughter of Danielle Grasset's great-grandfather. No details of a marriage or, children. Probably her, but maybe not.

what about an advert in the regions paper, or perhaps chat to a journalist about it ?
Journos are always hungry for copy. Saves them having to go out and do some work. I don't doubt the local (and regional?) rags will snap up this story.

Once again fairmaid's good offices could come in useful?

Aphra

War Hero
Journos are always hungry for copy. Saves them having to go out and do some work. I don't doubt the local (and regional?) rags will snap up this story.

Once again fairmaid's good offices could come in useful?
Good idea although perhaps @Awol wouldn't necessarily want to be identified as the finder if everything isn't resolved in his own situation. I wonder if he could insist on not being named in any article if that was the case?

Awol

LE
@Awol as promised, I just had the phone call.

Sadly it's not the GRASSET André you are looking for.

Bit of a weird call, as his elderly wife answered and was going to pass me onto her husband who shouted out "I'm not free". I asked when I could ring back and she said "oh I don't think he'll be long". Obviously caught him at a delicate moment!

There was then a conversation when I explained to the wife why I was ringing, she would shout through the house to her husband, who would reply, then she relayed it back to me!

His sister was Marie-Louise Grasset, she is deceased and she didn't have sons called Christophe or Frédéric.

So it's back to the hunt for the real one.

Sorry :cry:
Oh well.

A million thanks honey, it all helps by narrowing down the field.

Thanks again, your help is invaluable.

Awol

LE
Here’s a mystery. Danielle’s family tree (only the past couple of generations show for brevity) doesn’t show her. Andre is there, but no Danielle.

Any ideas why?

E56293FF-F28A-449B-AFE0-2304EBC7756E.png

Awol

LE
I’ve messaged a couple more Andre Grassets and one has read the message.

It’s just a case of firing off as many messages to likely relatives in the hope that something hits the target.

I’m not only messaging anyone likely, but I’m checking through their FB friends in case anything rings a bell, and then I’m going through all the pictures they’ve posted and going through all the comments, again looking for any clues.

It takes time, but it’s a bit like a treasure hunt now.

Awol

LE
What would be good is if one of you splendid people could somehow get into (read Hack ;-) ) a French database of births to see if Pascal Grasset (probably born in the 1960s) has any kids. The younger the relative is, the more likely they are to be on FB.

Awol

LE
what about an advert in the regions paper, or perhaps chat to a journalist about it ?
Great idea my friend.

Out of the Pascal Grasset’s that I’ve messaged, one of them has read the message that I sent, but, as is growing increasingly common, he has not replied.

However, following your advice I’ve contacted the local branches of national papers in both Limoges and Bordeaux (both places where Danielle lived) and told them the story, complete with my contact details.

If this doesn’t yield results, I think my next step will be local radio, and then maybe television, if they are interested.

endure

GCM
Great idea my friend.

Out of the Pascal Grasset’s that I’ve messaged, one of them has read the message that I sent, but, as is growing increasingly common, he has not replied.
What's happening is that they're all part of the same family and every time you send one of them a message he calls everyone else to tell them that the English loon is pestering him again :lol:

Latest Threads