Awol's photos

endure

GCM
Like everyone else I've been following Awol's escapades in France and, apart from his own story, it seems that there's another story that needs telling and that's the story of the photos he found in the suitcase he's mentioned in the Awol invasion of France thread.

@Sadurina has managed to unearth some of the history of those photos but wouldn't it be icing on the Awol cake if we managed to return them to their rightful owners and close the circle.

Bearing in kind that the arrse research branch puts the Russell Group to shame it's time that it kicked into gear and discovered the address where those photos belong.

Avanti arrsers!

Awol

LE
Like everyone else I've been following Awol's escapades in France and, apart from his own story, it seems that there's another story that needs telling and that's the story of the photos he found in the suitcase he's mentioned in the Awol invasion of France thread.

@Sadurina has managed to unearth some of the history of those photos but wouldn't it be icing on the Awol cake if we managed to return them to their rightful owners and close the circle.

Bearing in kind that the arrse research branch puts the Russell Group to shame it's time that it kicked into gear and discovered the address where those photos belong.

Avanti arrsers!
Thank you mate.

Awol

LE
Thank you mate.
I found the suitcase at that back of the barn when I moved in. I asked around and hit a brick wall. The previous (apparently witchy, broomsticks etc English owners) claimed that they had traced relatives to Paris and that they just didn’t want to know. I simply refused to believe it. Nobody would reject an unknown archive of a least 100 years of their family’s history in photographs.

Over the next few years, being at the back of the barn, the suitcase became more and more difficult to access and when my wife (with her own gold plated broomstick) sold the house from under me, I was extremely lucky that the house was purchased by Chelsea and her mother Jill (both English) who could have legitimately sold everything I have ever owned that was within the property, but with very good grace allowed me access to recover things I hold dear, ranging from my ‘baby book’ with my weight and a lock of my hair when I was one, to my childhood to recent collection to books, plus motorcycles, Snap-On spanner’s and an BSA Meteor air rifle given to me on my (legal) fourteenth birthday by my dad.

When I arrived at the house with the truly marvellous @Sadurina to clear the house. I told Jill about the suitcase full of old photos buried at the back of the barn and told her the little that I knew about it in the hope that she would recognise it and respect it,

Two days later, the barn was almost empty and I came across the suitcase again.

As we we were leaving, I had a change of heart and approached Jill to ask if I could take the suitcase and research it’s history myself (I knew that if she kept it, even with the best intentions, she might allow it to lie in storage for years, just as I had). She graciously agreed on the condition that I sent her any copies of photographs of the house which the suitcase might contain. I agreed and took the case away.

So…. over to the power of Arrse. All clues so far gathered on the ‘Awol, invasion of France’ thread.

Last edited:

Awol

LE
Please add any further finds on this thread to avoid the dreaded thread drift on the other one.

Today or tomorrow I’m going to sit down with my dear old Mum and meticulously go through the albums. Logically if the top layer has pictures of the 1980s and 1920s, the rest should show the years in between, including the Second World War, maybe even the bicycle.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Are there any negatives/slides/plates amongst them all or is it purely prints?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Avanti arrsers!
OK....so where are they? Photos or it didn't happen!

For anyone that is interested in researching this project, the best place to start would be the records of the Departement (roughly County Council) involved.
There has been a massive effort in recent years by various French governments to digitise all official records going back as far as Napoleon and his first cadastrale (property survey).
He did this for reasons of raising tax revenues from property for his war fighting.
There are records of mobilisations, census results and voters registers going back to Napoleonic times, and beyond that.
They are still twitchy about WW2 records though, and these will not be accessible online.
Such records will be publicly accessible at the records office itself though.
For Limoges and the area around it, start here:-

Good Luck !

Awol

LE
Some of the pics from the album at the top of the suitcase…

95FE0DD4-17C0-49BF-8DB2-C8EE39FC7A4D.jpeg

EF849B55-4D45-419C-874E-FB60695B77C4.jpeg

13F518DC-2194-441C-86A9-124973597E41.jpeg
B28B7344-BC24-45D1-B8C8-14CD231607B3.jpeg

E52B6938-3C3E-442F-A5E5-8971E7C0B0DB.jpeg

I buggered up the sequence. This is the back of the first photo, the group of women.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
From what I’ve seen so far there are negatives, from the 1970s.

I have a negative scanner if you want to digitise them.

Awol

LE
image.jpg
1A288E4B-54A9-4C3E-A29E-B8863536B916.jpeg

A clue. It’s on the back of this picture…
20758F86-6D82-4B0D-BC89-148DF3AD29B7.jpeg

I’m pretty sure that the picture at the top is a view from behind the house. Just behind the chap at the very back, on the right, is the large wooden door through which we gained access during the first trip in early December.

Last edited:

Awol

LE
Those pics were on the first couple of pages of an album that has 18 more pages, each with about 6 pics per page.

At a guess, there are probably 20 more albums in the suitcase.

It really is an historical treasure.

0A13C65F-4915-4EFB-B294-3001C01A7A53.jpeg
B6E9C3B0-C50D-4777-8BAB-AE59D0829695.jpeg

Vallieres Plage (beach) is near Royan on the Atlantic and the Caserne Richemond was a French Air Force training centre up at Nantes near St Nazaire, again on the Atlantic.
It might be worth messaging Fantassin and see what he can offer on the military side of things.
There are a lot of old comrades websites out there too that might be worth getting in touch with, like this one.

One of them might put a name to the face and then at least you have the family name.
Failing that PM me for another way around it.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Vallieres Plage (beach) is near Royan on the Atlantic and the Caserne Richemond was a French Air Force training centre up at Nantes near St Nazaire, again on the Atlantic.
It might be worth messaging Fantassin and see what he can offer on the military side of things.
There are a lot of old comrades websites out there too that might be worth getting in touch with, like this one.

One of them might put a name to the face and then at least you have the family name.
Failing that PM me for another way around it.
Ahhh HTB.
If it wasn't for your Initial recce we would not be here now.

Cheers matey.

Latest Threads