AWOL too long

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by 388ster, Nov 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine has just got in contact via Facebook, saying that he has been AWOl for 3 years and wishes to hand himself in and get it all over with, but he doesn't because he does not know what to expect as his punishment.

Does anyone know what he can expect?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Less if he hands himself in and shows remorse. More if he gets caught.....

3. If they even discipline him. I would expect an Admin Discharge although 28 days may also be in the pipeline... depends on the unit's thoughts.

Jockster

4. Just had an excellent presentation by SSAFA on their confidential help line. They have a dedicated adviser who can chat to people in your mates position and talk them through what is likely to happen.

If he does decide to turn himself in they can arrange an appointment for him to go to a suitable unit and a nominated person to report to. As I undertstand it they can chat to the G1 people and find out what is likely to happen and let the person know.

The person concerned can still decide not to hand themselves in, they just get the chance to find out what is likeley to happen to then from a proper source, and help in making admin arrangments to hand themselves in if they decide to do so.

SSAFA follow up by checking back with the soldier concerned to ensure that they are treated properly.

Copied from the SSAFA web site

Service Personnel who are absent without leave (AWOL) can now speak in complete confidence to the SSAFA AWOL Support Line Worker Tel: 01380 738137 9.00 - 10.00am Monday to Friday (answering machine for call back outside these times).

http://www.ssafa.org.uk/ConfidentialSL.html

5. Hand youself in and get it over with. You are a criminal until it is dealt with.
    28 days probably

Max would be 56 days at colly and you will leave with a Fork Truck Ticket and a plumbers ticket. Not bad.

6. Well, the good news is he's no longer considered AWOL.

The bad news is...he's a deserter.

7. Well I haven't heard that term for a while.

Jockster

8. Do I tell him he is getting shot then????

9. No, let it be a surprise.

10. Makes me think of

Ready Aim Fire

11. :twisted: LMAO! You b******!

Litotes

12. As im standing in as SSA (Discipline) we have just had a case of a guy who had been gone for 2 years 8 months, We thought he would just get binned and told to go home, but no the Legal Eagles said he would have to go to Court Martial and would prolly get 8 months and either soldier on or Discharge.

So it all depends on his unit, and the legal eagles.

Marty

13. [​IMG]

14. Marty you are indeed blessed with all the good jobs. 8O

Back on thread I thought that you no longer shot deserters and they were given life imprisonment now?

Jockster

15. Shall we take that you'll not be coming back then?