AWOL ISSUES

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by chebobs, Apr 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a few quick questions here girls and boys!

Ok, what are the awol issues.

1. Someone descides to go awol.... now how does this go through the system!

1. Is the awol person tracked and reported (to who)
    2.What are the issues with jobs on civi street if you go awol - is it possible to get a descent enough job with out causing to much attention? (with respect to tax and nat insurance number usage)

i pretty much need to kruth pleasenow as much as poss, my brother has gone awol very rescently and for my own relief i need to know how it all works - truth please!!

would very much appreciate an email or reply to this msg asap.

Thanks. :?

2. Sorry to stick my mouth in where it prolly does not belong,
    but I hope your brother comes home safe & well, I myself no nothing of the AWOL laws that govern soldiers, but I really hope they don't go to hard on him and give him some time in colly :( I think that would be a pretty bad idea for anyone as I have heard it is no holiday camp!

Anyway like I said I hope he turns up safe and well, for your brothers and families peace of mind :)

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Some are placed on the Police National Compter as AWOL, so if they are stopped by the police in a routine check or even arrested they will come to light as beingAWOL and handed over to the Service Police.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The absentee's unit will notify those who need to be aware. His pay will be stopped, and as Ventress says, in some cases the police are notified - usually when the absentee doesn't return or make contact after a few days. Absentees are usually found very easily.

Whatever problem your brother has, going AWOL is not the answer. He will have to take responsibility for his actions and will probably face disciplinary action, but he needs to return to his unit, or at least get in touch with the nearest military unit or the police as soon as possible. The longer he is absent, the greater the consequences are likely to be. He should not even consider getting another job - it will show an intent not to return, and the authorities will inevitably catch up with him.

If your brother has a problem, it can be dealt with. There are various agencies he can talk to, in confidence, that can help. PM me for more info - confidentiality guaranteed.

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Service Personnel who are absent without leave (AWOL) can now speak in complete confidence to the SSAFA AWOL Support Line Worker Tel: 01380 738137 9.00 - 10.00am Monday to Friday (answering machine for call back outside these times).

http://www.ssafa.org.uk/ConfidentialSL.html

Get him to ring.

6. When I was incorrectly posted as having deserted (second time on the same op as it happens) the police went round to my parents house and said they were there for 'Mr Phantom, to do with the army' and they were unable (or unwilling) to give any further details.
    Very nice of them as I was out of area, (on a nice little ship as it happens)

Worried my folks no end till i got back and was able to tell them that I was ok. It was a unit error though and not the fault of the police.

7. Fella,

If your brother tries to get a job he will be on emergency tax because he won't be able to provide them with a P45 from the Army... this will mean that he will be paying over the odds.

If he is seeking a job from a firm that would want to see his P45 then they will probably ask for a reference too. That might also be a difficult obstacle to overcome from the Army. Either way he will still be being employed by the Army.

Your brother should return to his unit as soon as possible and be very clear why he left... the Army can help him solve those problems if he is there, if he remains absent then he will have added another problem to the list.

Advise your brother to seek help rather than run away from his problems. The advice line must be worth a try.

8. I spent quite a bit of time on As and Ds (Absentees and Deserters)

One of my favourite arrests was that of a matelot who had been on the trot for 5 years. He actually took some convincing that he was really under arrest and that yes he was coming with us one way or another. There we were stood on his door-step and he thinks its a wind-up by his mates.

He spent the entire journey back the garrison trying to convince me that after 2 years you are no longer on "the list" as he described it and thus a free man.

He was warmly welcomed by a certain battalion guard room, who ensured his first hair cut in 3 years took place at 0900.

The result was he rapidly processed and discharged from HM Forces and then I had the pleasure of driving him home...

Where the local CID were waiting for us with a warrant to search his house in relation to various drug offences - he was suspected of dealing to children. How I laughed as the civpol arrested him before he actually got out of my car!

End result 7 years nick - a good result.

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I dealt with a Guardsman at Pirbright who had been AWOL for 40+ years. He had spent that looking over his shoulder. His good lady had forced him to 'hand himself in'. He got a through release medical and was discharged the same morning.

10. We used to notify the Civ Police after 7 days when I was in, in the early 90's.
    Bottom line with this is he would be better off to serve the remainder of his time, and come out properly - I'm sure the Police don't go overboard looking for absentees, but who wants to spend the rest of their life looking over their shoulder? You should also bear in mind that harbouring an absentee / desertee is a criminal offence.

Finally AWOL means that the offender intends to return, desertion means he does not. The latter is a far more serious offence (used to carry the death sentence, although I'm sure that's not the case any more!) Tell your brother not to destroy / dispose of his ID card etc because if he does they can use this as evidence that he is a deserter.

HTH