Awol accused soldier no coward

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Punk_trooper, Sep 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Cant believe it when i read this bit:

2. There always seems to be a school of thought that "authority" has to be a bad thing. Too many American movies, I suspect.

Anyway, the guy shouldn't have a leg to stand on - nobody forced him to join the Army.
  3. exactly and by signing up surely your agreeing to live under authority more than in civvi street! wonder if anyone on here actually knows the guy in question :?
  4. Firing squad I hope.
  5. I can believe that the guy might not be a coward - in which case he is clearly a moron.

What I can't believe is his Labour MP saying something sensible ...

6. When you sign up you know exactly what you're committing yourself to. The Army has never been a democratic organisation, it works on orders from the top. If you don't like it don't join. And don't complain afterwards when you are " surprised" by an order. Live with it.
  7. This guy is a coward of the highest order. What part of the Oath that he took does he not get:

I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.

As a Soldier your morals do not come into it. Ged rid and chuck him in jail to rot.
  8. Methinks he got bored/pissed off/frustrated and fcuked off one evening. The whole thing has evolved into 'principled stand' with the aid of an Aussie wife and ambitious soliciter.

He could have signed off, asked for rear party, had a quiet word with the Padre, demanded a discharge with the help of an MP or even spat in the CO's face and refused to soldier. Soldiers today have a hell of a lot more options than they did a generation ago. If he really objected to serving in Afghanistan I'm betting he wouldn't have been sent; It's not like he's a stupid frightened kid who will jump when the Sergeant Major growls.

I would send him straight to a civy nick and bang him up with the dregs of society; not for going absent but for bullshiting that he is a conscientious objector.....
  9. I can’t believe a person who has never served thinks he has the knowledge to comment on a subject he has no experience of :roll:
  10. the guy's a nob. he votes the party line consistently. his problem will be more that someone has questioned a politician, not the topic at hand.
  11. Reading your sig block, i notice you aren't serving yourself yet. I'd wind your neck in until you're even near being deployed.
  12. Yerah this was brought up in a few other threads surrounding the case . He was refused a visas to stay in Oz so when he came back he started up with this " Oh I think the war in Afghanistan is wrong and that's why I went AWOL " stuff

Looking on the bright side the collective standard of the British Army is improved with this gutless rat no longer being in it
  13. I still consider myself bound by the oath even at my time, not too sure about the General and Officers bit though.
    This guy may be trying to follow a similar route as the American officer of recent times. Better off without him,how would you feel with the likes of him watching your back :x :x
  14. His 'principled stand' has not and will not make any difference whatsoever with regard to whether we stay in Afghanistan or not. What it will have meant, however, is that some other bloke (or bird) will have had to deploy in his stead. So congratulations Joe - I hope you had a nice time with your missus whilst the squaddie who served your time in Afghanistan was missing theirs.
  15. Like the bit about normal duties. For normal read picking glass out of his food and having his kit shat on 24/7 as I imiagine his muckers are none to pleased. I'd imagine civvy gaol would be quite a relief.