AWOL 2 years

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by MD22, Jul 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am in a bit of a mess but trying to put things right.

In 2008 I went AWOL. I was stupid to go AWOL but I was in a bit of bother at the time and was accused of thieving. I moved away and got on with life but always thinking of what if I got caught.

Anyway have a gf now and a kid on the way and decided that I need to sort all this out. I know I fucked up and know it’s best for me to go back. I haven’t been in contact for 2 years now.

Any advice on what exactly to do? Is there much chance of being able to soldier on even after this – would like to go back? What is likely to happen when I go back – what am I likely to get punishment wise?
  2. Colchester's really nice this time of year,
  3. It's good you have taken the time to think about your mistake, and want to put it right. My first move would be to avoid the police, as getting nicked now would definately put you in Colly, then probably out. Write to the CO of your last unit and ask im his advice, stating your reasons for desertion and how much you would like to take your punishment and soldier on. Advise him of your new found maturity in having a family.

This WILL NOT get you off a courts martial, but will stand in good stead when they sit. It 'may' get you off Colly, it 'may' not. But good luck.
  4. They'll probably discharge you over the phone mate, the army is full so they don't need you.
    Phone the Guardroom if you know where your unit is, if not, pop into the local cop shop, they'll sort you out.
  5. Attend your nearest Mil establishment and hand yerself in. As Tropper says, have fun at Colly...

Shouldn't have done it in the first place you t1t, but some credit for wanting to sort it all out. Not much credit though.

Where is your nearest garrison?
  6. And FFS DON'T use your address, use a reletives or better still, a good mate who can repeat "never heard of him" endlessly to the cops.
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Service Personnel who are absent without leave (AWOL) can now speak in complete confidence to the SSAFA AWOL Support Line Worker Tel: 01380 738137 9.00 - 10.00am Monday to Friday (answering machine for call back outside these times).

SSAFA Support Lines
  8. Wah anyone??
  9. I don't think it is. It's not in the NAAFI bar. It's on RHQ section and sounds genuine.
  10. Do you have the slightest idea what a 'Wah' is, you numpty?

My advice: Pop along to the nearest unit and hand yourself in. It might help if you phone your own unit to let them know where you are handing yourself in so that they can come and collect you. TBH with manning as it is I wouldn't hold out much hope of serving on, but you will at least be able to get on with your life without constantly looking over your shoulder.
  11. As much as you are trying to play it down, you fled from justice, so you are not only AWOL but a suspected tea-leaf who had it on his toes the minute you were 'accused'.
    That isn't the action of an innocent man.
    I'm not sure the CO would be glad to take you back but he would be looking forward to you having to face the music and 'accusations'

Take your lumps and mind your fingers in the cell door!
  12. I really just want to get it sorted now that I have a kid on the way - whatever happens it has to be better than having it hanging over me and worrying about the cops. I know it would be worse if they nicked me and I went back that way.

Will think about it over the weekend and maybe call that number on Monday before doing anything else.

If it comes to it - how bad is Colly? I heard loads of stories about it when I was in or is it more just like going back to basic training?
  13. what kind of shape are you in? It could get your phys back up to a good level before you get the boot. think of it as a free personal trainer pal. Good luck.
  14. Save your high school judgement unless you have been sworn in as a solicitor or member of the Bar. You have no place to say whether you think he is innocent or guilty.

MD - everyone makes mistakes and I am sure 2 years from now your life will be much better after you put this to bed.
  15. Rubbish. NB is fully entitled to express his opinion on here just like everyone else. Since when has being a solicitor or being a member of the Bar mean that only their views should be listened to. Based on the extremely limited information posted on here I fully agree with NB.