Awesome

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by muzzleflash, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Clarkson is a TWAT

2. Why?

Cheers for the link MF

3. I'm sure this has been done before on here. Cannot be arrsed to look for the link though.

Clarkson also did a documentary on the St Nazaire raid.

See here: Super hard fellas!

4. Thanks for expanding your answer....... idiot.

Watched this when it was on TV. Very, very good. The stories are inspirational and tear jerking.

5. Must be Piers Morgan posting on arrse.

6. Duffdike will know.

7. Thanks Dale. Duffdike will know why I posted that? I'm thinking I was just doing t'internet equivalent of thinking aloud.

8. I've heard this mentioned before. He was using the School of Ammo's Dems ground for one of his (many) programs that involved explosions. One of the guys who was setting up the blow said Clarkson was an arse.

Now I've never personally met the guy, but he has always come across as pro-squaddie so i'm inclined to believe that he was either having a bad day or someone was peeing him off and he cut them off at the legs. Either way until proven personally otherwise, he is a good bloke in my book.

9. I think he was talking about his father-in-law who was awarded a VC.

10. Many call it the Greatest Ever Raid... possibly the only Victoria Cross awarded with help from the enemies account of the action:

Royal Engineer Sergeant Thomas Frank DURRANT VC

Born: Farnborough, Kent - 17 October 1918
    Sergeant Thomas Frank DURRANT VC
    Died: St Nazaire, France - 29 March 1942
    Burial details: Escoublac-la-Baule War Cemetery, France (Plot I, Row D, Grave 11)
    Corps service: Enlisted in the Royal Engineers on 1 February 1937. In 1940 he volunteered for service with the special service independent companies. He was promoted to Sergeant in the field whilst serving with No 2 Special Independent Company in Norway in the spring of 1940. On their return from Norway the special service independent companies were developed into Commando units.
    VC awarded: Won VC off St Nazaire, France on 27-28 March 1942. (Second World War 1939-45)
    VC unit: No 1 Commando.
    VC presented: VC presented by King George VI to Sergeant Durrant's mother at Buckingham Palace on 29 October 1946.
    VC citation: For great gallantry, skill and devotion to duty when in charge of a Lewis gun in HM Motor Launch 306 in the St Nazaire raid on 28 March 1942.
    Motor Launch 306 came under heavy fire while proceeding up the River Loire towards the port. Sergeant Durrant, in his position abaft the bridge, where he had no cover or protection, engaged enemy gun positions and searchlights ashore. During this engagement he was severely wounded in the arm but refused to leave his gun. The Motor Launch subsequently went down the river and was attacked by a German destroyer at 50-60 yards range, and often closer. In this action Sergeant Durrant continued to fire at the destroyer's bridge with the greatest of coolness and with complete disregard of the enemy's fire. The Motor Launch was illuminated by the enemy searchlight, and Sergeant Durrant drew on himself the individual attention of the enemy guns, and was again wounded in many places. Despite these further wounds he stayed in his exposed position, still firing his gun, although after a time only able to support himself by holding on to the gun mounting.
    After a running fight, the Commander of the German destroyer called on the Motor Launch to surrender. Sergeant Durrant's answer was a further burst of fire at the destroyer's bridge. Although now very weak, he went on firing, using drums of ammunition as fast as they could be replaced. A renewed attack by the enemy vessel eventually silenced the fire of the Motor Launch, but Sergeant Durrant refused to give up until the destroyer came alongside, grappled the Motor Launch and took prisoner those who remained alive.
    Sergeant Durrant's gallant fight was commended by the German officers on boarding the Motor Launch. This very gallant non-commissioned officer later died of the many wounds received in action.
    (London Gazette:19 June 1945)
    VC location: Royal Engineers Museum

11. Thanks for that Mariolario, nothing like an educated response. Watch the program and listen - tit