AWD drive motorcycles...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mav, Mar 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Apparently the US, in particular the SEALS, having been trialling 2 wheel drive motorcycles:

[​IMG]

Fitted with beefed up electrics and cooling, along with a long(ish) range tank, foam filled anti puncture tyres, the AWD system makes the bike that much less tiring to ride.

Of course, it is available with Molle:

[​IMG]

2. Are they using an diesel engine?

3. are they fitted with diesel engines ?
    I know Yamaha have been developing a diesel motorcycle single cylinder to allow common fuel systems
    also hopefully less maintenance and no worries if a little damp
    MCS did a piece about them a year or so back

4. RMCS built up some diesel engined bikes using Royal Enfield/Kawaski parts and HAYES DIVERSIFIED TECHNOLOGIES (USA) built up some diesel engines.

5. Nothing new to see here, and you ride a motorcycle, not drive it. 'Live To Drive' just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Edited to add: I'm a goose, didn't read that thread header properly. As you were.

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

7. Why ????? get off and push or buy a quad bike

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

9. I read that too. Cable drive down the forks to a bevel set-up in the hub? I believe someone also was experimenting with hydraulic drives around that time as well.

But some years back most things were heavy as **** and broke easily. Especially if some M/C journo **** was riding them.

Added: Just seen your last. No, it wasn't that one I saw, it would've been about '88ish when I read it. Yours mentions hydraulics though, I see.

10. So they say it's easier to ride?

I can't see how that's going to happen over rough terrain. The front is going to have a greater tendency to bog down because of the extra weight which in turn will be more tiring for the rider.

It won't develop, beyond the military, as it would never take off in the civilian market (I bet there's a bike mag article laughing at it somewhere).

It's just not enough to replace a skilled, practiced rider.

What next? A single wheeled motorbike trailer.

11. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Petrol 4 strokes - with the long distance experience they're getting with races like the Dakar which is now using 450's, these engines are getting better.

I can only assume they've made it a whole lot more reliable... to risk giving it to a bunch of grunts.

12. I'm with you on this, you can carry much more stuff on a quad too. The septics have even trialled fitting GPMG/GMG quad WMIK kits.

Ultimately, the only terrain bikes have the advantage is mountainous, which is pretty specific for an expensive custom order. Then again, they like to splash the cash.

• Like Like x 1
  13. But not the likes

14. Shazam
    [​IMG]

This is the Rapier version.

• Like Like x 2
  15. That's not a trailer, it's a fuel tank for that gas guzzling pig.

• Like Like x 3