Awards for Iraq

Besides the VC being awarded some 250 other awards have been earned all of which deserve congratulations.

Here are the names of the medical personnel.

MBE - Captain Hugo Charles GUTHRIE
Royal Army Medical Corps - Was 1BW UMO & while I was at Shaibar I saw this guy in action; he deserves every thing he gets & more.

MiD - Lance Corporal Lisa Marie NEWBURN
Royal Army Medical Corps

Bronze Star Medal - Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Michael WILLIAMS
Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps

Would love to know the story behind the bronze star.

HCW

The Bronze Star:

He was the Deputy Commander Medical for all Coalition Forces in Iraq just after the war and worked on General Sanchez's staff in Baghdad.

why are the AMS so bad at nominating their troops for operational awards? absolute toss, some doctors with MBEs, couple of techs with QCVSs, and the only MiD was put forward by the Black Watch!!

I'll do it ! ;)

mind you ...young...nope
Good looking ....weeellll nope

QA.. Well I did French at school but it dosnt make me a frenchman does it ! so nope.

ahh well.

Filbert Fox said:
why are the AMS so bad at nominating their troops for operational awards? absolute toss, some doctors with MBEs, couple of techs with QCVSs, and the only MiD was put forward by the Black Watch!!
FF,

Honors and Awards (H&A) are a very contentious issue. However, this is an easy one to answer. There are three options and I am not telling you which is the correct one. Either the AMS personnel deployed are doing their job and no more and therefore do not warrant any H&A or their officers and SNCOs can’t be bothered to write them up for one or they do write them up but the justification is not strong enough. You decide.

There is one unit that DO nominate for Medals Honours and awards
16 CSMR !! They always get their fair share and they usually F**k Off after about 2 Weeks of action for about 2 Months of "standown" leaving the rest of us out here for Months !! :evil:

DL,

Anybody can nominate anybody for an award. I believe that I am correct in saying that you can nominate yourself for an award if you want (NL restructuring of the H&A system back in 97/99). However, the Armed Forces use the CoC as the first filter to add more weight to the write up if required. SNCOs should start the process. “Sir I think that Pte X deserves a medal/award for the way that/actions on date…..” and so on. The thing to remember is that H&A are not just awarded for killing thre enemy. BEMS and MBEs are normally for admin type work.

TamponTs comments are a classic example of how emotive this issue is. If 16 CMSR can be bothered to do a strong write up their blokes will get the award. If other units can’t be arrsed then they won’t get an award. Simple as that. Sitting in an RAP tent and swatting flies will get you nothing (except the personal satisfaction of killing flies). You blokes used to get H&A all the time, loads of VCs, QGMs, GMs and so on. Bloody medics get everywhere and the Army is still kicking in doors and duffing up people. What has happened? I know, don’t tell me DCS 15 and MHDUs are the root cause of the current lack of H&A :wink: .

Lunchy....you seem slightly anti-medic!

As for why we dont get more H&As most of the points have been raised already however this statement deserves my opinion :wink:

Bloody medics get everywhere and the Army is still kicking in doors and duffing up people. What has happened? I know, don’t tell me DCS 15 and MHDUs are the root cause of the current lack of H&A .
The trade that used to go out on the ground as Patrol Medics etc is (as you are fully aware from previous needling posts) 56% undermanned and is increasingly being manned by Female Personnel.

Now it doesn't take the brains of an Archbishop does it to recognise that Frontline Units (and by that I mean Infantry) are extremely reluctant to allow Female Personnel out on Hazardous OPs. Ergo, with a falling Male:Female ratio of CMTs in the big wide world there are bound to be less CMTs out on the ground as Patrol Medics.

:twisted:

The problem lies with idleness on the part of the seniors and Officers in the Corps. I wrote up two of my staff for work on TELIC and the CoC could not be arrsed to take it further. I did (even though I was very busy) and one of the soldiers got recognition. I have had two COs say to me at different times that they did not see the need for H&As and in my opinion they should not be in a Command post. People in our Corps are at least as professional as our predecessors, we work as hard and given the opportunity most of us would like to be heroes. The simple fact is that medics are not seen as being "sexy" when it comes to medals whereas teeth arms are. I have a friend who was an RQMS in a foot guards regt who knew he would get his MBE as he was an RQMS in a foot guards regt going on a specific tour - can this be right ? I have received three awards (two of which came from write ups by non AMS personnel) and I appreciate the recognition. Lunchy is generally ignorant but here he has raised a good point, if your troops warrent it write them up !

lunchy_bunsworth said:
I know, don’t tell me DCS 15 and MHDUs are the root cause of the current lack of H&A .
LB, you seem obsessed with DCS 15 and MDHUs, you mention them more than any member of the AMS who post here!!

I wrote a cracking citation for one of my TA Cpls out on Telic, got a QA officer to sign as a 'seconder', handed it onto the Matron of the TA Fd Hosp that I was attached to, was told that she would pass it up the chain, well that was as far as it went. recently saw above mentioned Cpl and his OC (who didnt deploy with us) at a convention, it never even made it to his P File as a letter of 'well doneness'.
AMS!! a typical case of 'if Im not getting one, neither is anyone else' from the units heirachy, and people (Lunchy-Brunchy included) wonder why people become disaffected by the way the AMS treat their troops!

LWM,

I am not anti medic at all and I apologise if my last post gave that impression. By medics getting everywhere I wanted to point out that unlike lets say the AAC, you go everywhere that the Army deploys to. There is a medic, in open form or another, everywhere there are soldiers and where ever there is action. By inference, your chance of getting an H & A should be quite high. As you all point out this is not the case. Why?
Perhaps the attention of the higher command of the AMS should be drawn to this and the effect that it seems to be having on the AMS as a whole.

FF,
DCS 15 and MDHUs were a joke. Obviously not that funny so I won’t say it again.

I observed a act of daring do during the Falkland Island hospital fire in 84.Wrote the guy up for a bravery award,several weeks later, was informed by the OC, that this was not observed by an officer, so could not be put in for a gong. I told them that there were no Officers around at the time, because the incident started at least 1/2 hour before, and it took that long for them to turn up. He did get a citation.

(Mind you, he was shagging the duty QA, when the alarm was raised, as I dragged the covers of his bed, there she was. But thats another story.
The RAF (Trumtons) all got a gong, christ knows why, as the fire was nearly out by the time they arrived.