Awards for German Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Iainmc, Jan 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the news of the well deserved award of a VC to a Cpl in austrialia's SAS and the subsecquent discussion in that forum about their different awards after they 'cast off' the imperial system, I was wondering:

what are the awards the German armed forces? Do they still have the Knights cross??? or did they revert to the WW1 award of the Grand Cross?

I don't know, that is why I am asking.

your comments please
  2. Google German Military Gallantry Awards, and it will show a wikipedia site, it lists them all on there
  3. Cheers,

Interesting that there was a pention in 1980 to RE-Introduce the order of the Iron cross. I like that.
  4. I dont know why they dont re-introduce the Iron cross, it was around a long time before WW2 and those Iron cross holders from WW2 who joned the Bundeswher in the 50's were still allowed to wear it... although as a de-nazified version with oakleaves in the centre as opposed to the hakenkreuz. if memory serves me correct there were a few knights cross holders who served in the Bundeswehr too.
  5. More than a few; 674, according to Wikipedia (German only, here: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes).

I've served in battalions that were smaller than that. You wouldn't want to get in the way of that bunch.

6. I was at barker Bks in Paderborn when they had a reunion of old 5th Skins and the german Panzer regiment who defended paderborn in 1945,

there were some very impressive medals being worwith pride that day. Your attachtment explains the history of it all, that is brilliant and exactly what I was looking for,

Cheers angular