Award the GSM for personnel deployed supporting live ops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oracledba, May 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recognition should be given to those personnel deployed in areas adjacent to combat zones who are supporting active operations but who not qualify for a campaign medal. The General Service Medal, discontinued in 1999 (with the exception of still being awarded for service in Northern Ireland) would be ideal for this occasion and would not necessitate the creation of a new medal. Personnel, both regular and reserve, should be recognised for the valuable contribution they make to operations, and for the fact that they are deployed far from home for long periods of time in some inhospitable, and often unsafe, locations.

Sign here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/GSMaward/ if you agree.

This is not a simple claim for more bling but a serious attempt to gain some form of recognition out of our penny-pinching, self-serving, 'stuff you, I'm all right Jack' gobment for all people deployed on active service but who do not meet the current criteria for the award of a gong. All comments welcome: good, bad, indifferent, whatever..... but please sign! Thanks.

2. I know for a fact that personnel deployed supporting Herrick are awarded the herrick medal but no clasp, to indicate they deployed but not in theatre.

3. It is bling, If your not there you don't get anything. Someone in a storehouse in Bicester could be making more of contribution to an operation than someone sat in Qatar getting a tan.

You might find people would welcome the operational allowance instead of a medal.

I also thought you no longer get the GSM for N.Ireland

4. As of last year you don't.

5. Good luck with your campaign, but is it really "unsafe and inhospitable" in "Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, etc"? There's no question that it's far from home, but should that really be the criteria for a medal?

Apologies if I've got it wrong. I've not been to Bahrain, Qatar or Oman, although I will be doing some work in the first two later this year. I've recently been working with some guys who regulary work out of all three places. No mention of any of them being "unsafe and inhospitable."

Sorry mate, but I am of the opinion that Brits generally earn their medals (with the exception of an ex-crab mate of mine who got his Granby medal by acquiring a splendid tan in Cyprus!). :)

If it's gongs you want, then maybe you should see about a possible attachment to the septics?

6. The Government that introduced the Veteran's Badge and has awarded campaign medals for Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, The Congo, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and Iraq during it's time in office. I hate to stick up for the Government but sod it, your talking crap.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As for operational allowance instead of gongs, not long after the Falklands war we were sent as a Bn to garrison the place, 1 hrs NTM, weapons and ammo in our rooms and a 2 can limit in place. Now we received no allowances and no recognitions for 4 months away from our first UK posting in a long time. One or the other would have been nice but to get neither was just typical 1980's MoD wackners!

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Concur. I spent Gulf 1 doing "12 on - 12 off" for 4 months in the RAF Ops Room in Whitehall without weekends ... and I had drawn the night shift. But I wasn't "there".

Recognition for those who weren't in theatre, but contributed something, means that the medal is simply "I was in the Armed Services at the time".

Everyone who didn't go to the Theater contributed to the Operation, but ....

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You were in the FI Blue on operational conditions with sod all for it!

10. blue-sophist

Just so ... but who cares about the bling, they kept promoting me instead :lol:

Still faintly pi66es me off, though :wink:

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Money would have been nice though!

12. blue-sophist

It was and is ... :wink:

I still look severely sad come Remembrance Day Parade, though ... after 30 years I'm badged the same as a guy who did 6 months before getting bust for drugs, and he's got his Veteran's Badge as well :roll:

13. There are plenty of blokes who have got far more medals than me and some who have less. Who cares? The regimental tie means far more. The only people with enough of an inferiority-complex to look down on an ex-serviceman with no medals are surely the tossers who cover themselves in badges and bling at every opportunity.

14. blue-sophist

How true, and we have one ... with a well-deserved MBE, he also wears a collection of "Buy One Get Three Free" from that souvenir medal shop, and has now also started wearing his GF's medals on the right side from the Boer War :roll:

You can hear him coming from 150 metres, even with my hearing :lol:

15. cdn_spr

Thanks for the info, though I'm surprised to hear it. I'm not advocating campaign medals for support service - they should obviously only be awarded to those who were at the sharp end.