AWACS lurking over Newcastle

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
A few people have commented on this mystery plane. Its not an E-3, its a 2 engine jet. Sort of AWACS Lite. And it is not in RAF livery.

We get some odd military planes into Newcastle airport from time to time, but this thing acts strange.

Where miliary aircraft refuel (or whatever) then sod off, this thing circles the city fairly low, a few thousand feet up, for an extended period. If planes are stacked up here, waiting for a slot, they tend to circle out over the North Sea a few miles away.

Any ideas?

Not a Police spyplane, like they use round here now and again?

TheIronDuke said:
A few people have commented on this mystery plane. Its not an E-3, its a 2 engine jet. Sort of AWACS Lite. And it is not in RAF livery.

We get some odd military planes into Newcastle airport from time to time, but this thing acts strange.

Where miliary aircraft refuel (or whatever) then sod off, this thing circles the city fairly low, a few thousand feet up, for an extended period. If planes are stacked up here, waiting for a slot, they tend to circle out over the North Sea a few miles away.

Any ideas?
NATO operates 17 E3-A's?

I know keegan is still looking for his first win but using AWAC's to find it is a bit over the top, don't you think?

C

cloudbuster

Get someone tp paint "Pi55-off, Biggles" on the roof of St James' Park. That'll get rid of them.

Had one over North Yorkshire flying in & out of Yeadon Airport last year and it turned out to be an aerial survey for global mapping (aka Goggle Earth)

C

cloudbuster

You remember those ads where the Mysterons are looking for benefit cheats?

New technology means they can do it in daylight now, so it's being trialled over Newcastle.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Twin engined on the wings? If so, it could be the spick Boeing 737 AEW&C.
Spic 737 AEW&C? Only the Aussies, Turks and South Koreans have signed on the dotted line thus far and their aircraft are spread around the US and Oz. As far as I'm aware no Wedgetail has yet come to the UK.

From the limited info offered it sounds like either an RAF Sentinel from here or an FRA Falcon from Teeside.

Regards,
MM

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
The Emperors of Nippon have two engined 767 based AWACS? Bit far from home though :?

cloudbuster said:
You remember those ads where the Mysterons are looking for benefit cheats?

New technology means they can do it in daylight now, so it's being trialled over Newcastle.
No way, the system would overload and explode within 5 secs of powering it up there!

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Sorry, bone observation skills in action. Its a 4 engine, I just caught it at a funny angle yesterday. Which makes it an E-3 and therefore maybe NATO? I dunno if the RAF ones are camoflaged, but this thing looks silver or white.

I just took a pic, but it looks like a small cross in the sky.

Its up there now. In the unlikely event anyone is reading this in North Tyneside / Killingworth / Seaton Burn way, its up there.

If it was a one off, no big deal. Just an interesting plane. But this thing is a regular visitor. Circling.

Could be a training flight? But I'm hard pressed to think of a base that would put Newcastle as the nearest city?

Maybe they pick cities at random and its out turn? Spread the fear.

Jesus. When I said on Sunday night in the pub that we should dig up Saddam and put him in as manager of Newcastle United, it was a joke guys. Honest.

ID,
I'm an RAF AWACS type and from your description it sounds like you're seeing a NATO E-3A. They're finished in a gloss grey/white scheme with 'NATO+OTAN' along the side and have fairly smokey engines. USAF AWACS have a similar scheme.

Our E-3Ds (and those of the French) are finished in a more subdued overall grey camoflage with bigger, quieter, less smokey engines.

RAF and NATO E-3s regularly use a variety of civvy airports to maintain currency on ILS and other precision approach techniques. Newcastle, East Midlands and Prestwick are especially popular.

Regards,
MM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Magic_Mushroom Royal Air Force 377
Magic_Mushroom Tanks, planes & ships 130
Kromeriz Royal Air Force 28