AW139 to replace USAF Hueys

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Leonardo and Boeing just scored a nice contract to replace USAF Hueys, 4 initially ordered, 84 planned, main role is security of US Missile fields
Missile Fields? I never realized that they were a crop!

TBH I thought Hueys had all gone years ago. I see the odd one flying around and thought they were a bit like that old RL someone in the Sqn used to keep around as a fond memory rather than anything useful. Normally though it is Blackhawks, Seahwaks and Chinooks wokka'ing around - there is one old Wessex I see sometimes, but then we have L3 down the road and you never know what they are testing.

TBH I thought Hueys had all gone years ago. I see the odd one flying around and thought they were a bit like that old RL someone in the Sqn used to keep around as a fond memory rather than anything useful. Normally though it is Blackhawks, Seahwaks and Chinooks wokka'ing around - there is one old Wessex I see sometimes, but then we have L3 down the road and you never know what they are testing.
Well better get yourself fixed so can you can jump out of these with a chute as well...if you desire. ;)

I've heard that the Blackhawk is to be replaced with the Bell V-280 which is a small version of the V-22 Osprey.

V280-Bell-Helicopter-2.jpg

BAE have also got the contract from the US Marines to replace the old AAV with a new wheeled ACVs.

I love winding up American Soldiers mainly about how the US does not buy any foreign weapons/systems and go on to list all of them as their jaws go lower and lower.

Here are my photos of then AgustaWestland AW139 demonstrator rigged up as USAF HH139 demonstrator back in Heli Expo 2011 in Orlando. It was called the CVLSP (Common Vertical Lift Support Platform) program at the time before it got shoved aside. I have even the 3/4 ft posters promoting the 139 in blue VIP colors (as worn by the 1st Helicopter Squadron out of Andrews AFB) and in dark grey as the Helicopter Flight/Squadrons at the likes of Malstrom AFB, Minot etc.

This particular airframe ended up as National Security Demonstrator 2 years later on.

Cheers

The Airfarce and Marines still use the Huey.

Hueys in the Missile Fields are on their arse. Even when serviceable they struggled to meet Air Force Global Strike Command-mandated response time to the furthest silos.

If anyone remembers the 139 was a contender for the US Army LUH which ended up going to Eurocopter thus the UH-72A Lakota.

12 years ago March 2006 I was talking to a licensed helo engineer (formerly from down under AAAC ) in Dubai. He was at the time working on AW139 for their Air Wing and said he thought the 139 was going to come out as a winner for the US Army. His reasoing for that was several US army aviation techs were being sent to AW for 139 intro courses. Cue a few months later ..the decision to go with the Lakota. If anyone read the EADS magazine at Farnborough 2006, there as an article on Vanderbilt Life Flight were contracted out by the US Army, to support EMS requirements from neighbouring Fort Campbell. This was to take the heat of the Dustoff Medevac UH-60A/HH-60L so they could concentrate on exercises and deployments to SW Asia.

The MH-139 will be assembled at Leonardo Philliy facility (they relocated Arlignton Flight Test Facility all into Philly the other year thus leaving one Leonardo Helicopter USA formerly AW USA facility ).

This feather in the cap for Leonardo , could potentially open more doors such as the TH-119 trainer to replace the US Navy TH-57C legacy fleet

Leonardo-Finmeccanica introduces the TH-119: new name, new avionics for U.S. Navy Advanced Helicopter Trainer Program - DETAIL - Leonardo - Aerospace, Defence and Security

cheers

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Still going, especially with the USMC, but to be honest they’ve be upgraded so much they beat little resemblemve to the originally.

However, as a wide man once said to me. There’s only so many ways to design a flying box. If it works, stock with it.

Interesting enough I came across this artists impression of Bell UH-1Y in USAF colors on the Federation of American Scientists website around 199/2000

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/uh-1.htm

and AfghanAndy is right with the Corps UH-1Y nowadays bearing little resemblance to the original (my photos from Farnborough Airshow 2010). Then again it was part of USMC H-1 Upgrade meaning the AH-1Z nad UH-1Y shared the same tail boom, MRH, Tail rotor drive system etc

cheers

Gen question... Are Huey's involved in any aspect of combat operations still, or is that just in the head of B film directors?

I wonder if the AW139 would.manage to hold the same complement of troops as the Huey variants?

Hopefully @Raven2008 can enlighten me.

Latest Threads