• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Avionics technician

Hi I passed my selection back in March and start my basic at Pirbright in July. I got my first job choice of Avionics technician and was wondering if there were any avionics technicians here who could tell me how challenging the phase 2 is and what kind of level the maths and science is?

Thanks, vixxxtiger

The maths and science is not hard to pass at all at phase 2.
For the math phase of your training you are taught at a steady pace and if you have any problems you can seek help.
There is a basic electronics part of phase 2 which a 6 year old could pass and then for the actual avionics course itself you just have to apply yourself and knuckle down.
anyway good luck with Pirbright.

Hi can i just ask how long after passing ADSC did you get your date? I have just passed and am going in as Aircraft Tech. Was told I face quite a lengthy wait but will I get my date soon?

Why would you want to be an avionics technician?

Do you want to have no responsibility?

Do you want to spend half of your career at training establishments?

Do you want to wear a dodgy powder puff beret?

If your answers to any of these questions is yes, then crack on!

On the positive side, you should breeze the course as you'll have no mates (due to your trade choice) so you'll have plenty of time to study!

Ive got a place for aircraft tech, probably sounds a bit stupid but is this just banta or is it true that aicraft/avionics tech's aren't liked?

Nowt wront with wanting to become an avionics Tech. Just remember its a Knuts job and you have to be a Knut to want to do it. Give your training your best effort and it'll work for you but most of all have fun and enjoy yourself. Big tip when you get to your unit dont mess with the VM's or you'll get the hairy side of a real tradesman's hand!

How many times am I going to hear this top 10% of the top 10% blah, blah, blah. You keep telling yourself whatever you want and maybe one day you will actually believe it!

That's the arrogance that i'm on about when I say you'll have no mates.

Go on for a minute you were going to say A Mechs are better than techs werent you, admit it :flower: :wink:

I think you have it all wrong fella :scratch:
i was actually considering starting a new thread and having a poll to see if everyone thought 'A' mechs should be kicked out of the REME and re-badged to the RLC as they are clearly not in the top 10% of the army like the rest of us :D :banned: :wink:

Maybe we should consider the fact that 'A' mechs are in the bottom 2% of the REME :twisted:

hi , I have got the same question for you , I have passed my selection at pirbright this month 30-july . and I will be going for basic training to pribright in january next year 2008.
and I also got my first choice which is Electronics and Avionics Technican.
I would be very happy if you could give me a few tips , for Basic training,
and Phase 2 trade training,
Do you know what is the syllabus for avionis Technican,
or is there any recommended Avionics , Maths Books ,

i would be happy to know anything that can help me,

I wish you good luch for your Basic Training .

Well done FIAZ123, get yerself as fitasphukk prior to Basic Trg.
You'll like Pirbright, it's crawling with Wooden Tops and right handy for the ranges.
Once through trade training (piece of pish for Greenies) buy a truckload of Dreft to keep yer daft beret sparkly.
When in the field and approached by Eces/A Mechs to borrow tools smile cheerfully and say "Help yourselves to anything off me shadow board."
Get some lockwiring practise in as you'll spend the rest of yer days doing just that.
Good luck and maintain your sense of humour. Your choice of trade will not make you one of Gods people, the Eces have reserved that right.
Might see you in the Brams next July, get 'em in!

Fcuk humour, Fcuk banter, i've had it up to my eyes with the sh1t that gets spued out by STEAM reme's, Bore off with your 'fluffy berets' and 'your not the top 10%' pish.

the fact of the matter is that if you weren't kicked out of school for being too thick, you too would have been granted the opportunity of doing our trade. As it is, your intelligence level is the same as your trade on the list of 'jobs you can have' after doing the old barb test - right at the feckin bottom!

Your a 'mechanic', and we're 'technicians' - the only people who don't know the difference is you, and that's when we see the ignorance, jealousy and resentment ooze out of every pore.

rant over. bring it on.

I agree you probably are more intelligent than the rest of us, still doesnt negate the fact that majority of you are a bunch of useless cnuts at everything besides your trade, you dont go on tours and go out on the ground like most of the british army due to the fact that your trade means their is no real need for you to do so, hence the fact you are useless cnuts with no real requirement to be soldiers and therefore get little respect from everyone else. I am suprised that you do not in fact get affiliated with the RAF.
I refer to my earlier post with regards to MTI and the fact that only considered if you were a Sgt tech., lets face it PAAB is just an attendance for you, same as JCLM etc, they let things go that would have STEAM Reme as you put it failed and why do i say this, because i have seen it, for one example on my JMC where quite a few of the techs, most were fcuking abysmal and made me feel ashamed to be associated with them couldnt find the task because of sh1te map reading when patrolling, went to sh1t when we were ambushed etc. then at the end when given the second chance to lead at final attack were a bunch of cnuts, but did they fail noooo.
I am proud of the fact that i had to earn my rank and did it through my own hard work rather than just because of my trade. I enjoy my job and have probably had a sh1tload more experience with life due to the variety of units i have been with and tours i have done and not been sheltered working with the same faces all the time with no real danger to contend with like yourselves.
P1ssed of with the fact that you cnuts do not earn fcuk all due to your trade and career is mapped out for you unless you are a complete nugget and therefore i have no respect whatsoever for you, but i have no doubt that bothers you not in the slightest and why should it, i am just one person and have my own views and that is my problem. Though i would hazard to guess one or two other people may agree with me.

big_s said:
Fcuk humour, Fcuk banter, i've had it up to my eyes with the sh1t that gets spued out by STEAM reme's, Bore off with your 'fluffy berets' and 'your not the top 10%' pish.

the fact of the matter is that if you weren't kicked out of school for being too thick, you too would have been granted the opportunity of doing our trade. As it is, your intelligence level is the same as your trade on the list of 'jobs you can have' after doing the old barb test - right at the feckin bottom!

Your a 'mechanic', and we're 'technicians' - the only people who don't know the difference is you, and that's when we see the ignorance, jealousy and resentment ooze out of every pore.

rant over. bring it on.
Fcuk another Tech thats reached pubity, go easy on him S_S he might need his nappy changing soon. :wink:

You had to mention PAAB. The only real place that if there are grumbles, it has to be directed to individuals who failed - i assume you did. the PAAB is the same for everyone, same conditons, equipment, breifings, assessments, the only difference is the people attending. Tech's seem to breeze it because they have all the qualities that are being looked for in an Artificer, 'STEAMS' seem to struggle because they lack a certain amount of adaptability, lateral thinking and logic. Not your fault, it's 'cos, as you so proudly proclaim, you do a real soldier's job i.e. the missing link between us and the infantry.
You don't earn anything more than we do, you just have to work harder for it, it a massive difference but is twisted when your at the bottom looking up.

i like you

Latest Threads