Avionics Technician

Discussion in 'REME' started by WelshSoldierPontypool, Jul 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After finally deciding to join as an Avionics Technician i have been given a starting date of November 5th.

Really looking forward to starting training but having been told by everybody how difficult the training is (phase 2) and how many drop out, i am a bit worried because as things stand at the moment i dont know even the basics about Electronics. My career advisor has told me that this isnt a problem, i am aware that we start Phase 2 with a basic Electronics course but i'd feel better if i pick a few things up before i start.

Could somebody let me know the subjects that would be beneficial to take a look at before starting.

2. get the series of books by Greene on electronics..they are the bibles and simple to read and understand.

I was an avionic tech myself..don't worry they are able to teach a range of student level/backgrounds to a high standard quickly..
  3. Maths, maths and more maths. This is what trips up most of the guys before they even start on the electronics. If you didn't get at least a B at GCSE level then you will struggle. If you PM me with your email address I can send you some PDFs of the sort of thing you should expect. It's more civi than military but it'll give you an idea. However that doesn't mean that once you get past the maths that it'll be all plain sailing. Be prepared to spend a significant portion of your time studying.......hard.
  4. Don't bother trying to learn electronics or maths. Get fit, enjoy civvy life and worry about your trade when you get to Arborfield.
    The instructers in the school are absolutely first rate and will teach you from scratch. Sure a base will help a little but you'll forget everything in no time doing it yourself.
    If you want anymore advice about Arborfield then PM me, Im sure I have sent you one in the past but maybe you overlooked it! I guess for the next two weeks (posted yipee) Im a subject matter expert.