Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Avionics/Aircraft Maths

If you have an A grade at GCSE you are unlikely to have any problem with the maths at Arborfield. The Instructors will guide you through the maths that you need.

As vertical gyro has already written, enjoy your last days of freedom.

Once you get onto course remember to do a little work every evening and you will get through easily.

Don't let the Land Systems boys try to pollute your mind, as they all know that Avionics Techs are the best. :D

If one armourer steals your milk ration three times a week for three months how much liquid would be shed via the tears of the tech? (Answers in Imperial pints)

Thanks to everyone who has posted recently, been a great help with my research. I think I will go for electronics/avionics tech because saves waiting until October but also seems a job that covers more, especially with land systems. I found out that postings are quite limited within the aircraft tech role which wouldn't be great so thanks for the advice

Might seem a little odd but the world has turned on its head. People used to join the army to see the world.

Where aircraft techs are concerned you now leave the army to see the world.

Even in the recession there is still a demand for helicopter engineers.

Over the last 20 years I have done time in UK, Holland, Germany, Norway,
Greece, Ireland, Tanzania, Antigua, HongKong and Canada. Managed to avoid the hot and sandy as well as Nigeria.

Enjoy your time in the army its a great training ground and there are many employers who see the line ex-military as extra points at interview. If you decide to stay in aircraft after you come out it will pay the bills till you retire (subject to standard terms and conditions and subject to change!!!!).

I see. I had my sights set on Aircraft technician, but after reading that postings are quite limited I'm a bit put off!
I started the application process a year ago, but when I got to selection they found I had a hernia, so had the op and a 6 month deferral. Before that point I had looked into VM, Aircraft Tech and Avionics and had settled on Aircraft Tech. But now I'm unsure! Part of my reasons for joining was to travel, etc. but from what you guys have said, that's not that often?

Thinking of maybe switching my choice to VM...but I really can't decide!

Why aren't you at least looking into Electronics technician ie a Land Systems Tech? The promotion and pay and qualifications are the same as Avionics with more postings and more variety of equipment to work on.

Yes, the Avionics world is limited in its postings but you will still get the chance to travel. They are currently highly committed to supporting operations but you can still adventure train and they do get to go on some fancy exercises in the states.

Don't get tunnel vision over your trade choices and try to speak to REME ACIO staff as most infanteers cav etc wont push some options for you as they are focused on getting people into pinch point trade jobs.

Well when I started my application a year ago I had a look into the trades mentioned in my previous post, and settled on Aircraft Tech. However, now after going over things again I am wondering if I am capable of doing it. I only got a grade C at GCSE maths (3 years ago) and from what you guys have been saying it is more like A level maths, etc. that you study for the trade? I don't want to be pessimistic about it, but I don't know if I can manage..
I chose Aircraft Tech because of the good pay and also because it sounded an interesting job, but now I don't know if I should go for it and see how I get on, or go for VM instead?

I got a C at GCSE in Maths so dont worry about that as the learning may well be of a higher standard but so to is the instruction and you may find that as its now a career, you will work harder at your studies.

If you're now not going into Aviation can you change your avatar as its a bit geeky!

If you find the maths too hard then you can try and change job choice at that time. No use getting worried about it before you have even experienced it (even if I was at the beginning of this thread :roll: ) How far are you in the application process now?

tomjj said:
If you find the maths too hard then you can try and change job choice at that time. No use getting worried about it before you have even experienced it (even if I was at the beginning of this thread :roll: ) How far are you in the application process now?
Sounds good mate, thanks for the reassurance :)

Well I applied last year March time, got to selection last June where I didn't pass the medical as they found I had a hernia. Had the op last September and have been on deferral since (6 month deferral), so I can now carry on. I just have to go back to selection, no need to reapply which is great!

verticalgyro said:
sparky8 said:
If you're now not going into Aviation can you change your avatar as its a bit geeky!

How very dare you Sir. A pair of Lynx Mk7 with TOW booms is the epitome of manliness and not in any way geeky. :wink:

I love my Lynxies :)

verticalgyro said:
sparky8 said:

How very dare you Sir. A pair of Lynx Mk7 with TOW booms is the epitome of manliness and not in any way geeky. :wink:

just stumbled into this thread out of idle curiousity....

Not like it was in my day then, you just joined as an air tech and cracked on?

I managed to serve with every AAC unit in the suffolk area....but none of them were in suffolk at the time lol, and one of them changed its name ie dropped the 1 wksp and gained Bn.

Then I found out how much flying pay was and jumped ship.....

Mk 7`s youve got to love the thrill of never knowing if you are going to return from a sortie alive or be spread all over a field that night.

regards folks.

The decision to go Blackie or Greenie is not academic it is a personal choice, what do you want to do? The Army will groom you to your pursued occupation but if you do not like getting covered in carcenagenic materials and being asked stupid requests your management team then perhaps Greenie is the best oppurtunity, you can slip into your own cyber world and coast your whole Army carreer crimping wires or doing courses.
But if you can pull off the ultimate accolade! A greenie who is a bloody good blackie you will not only be respected within your peers you will have a very good mindset when you want to leave the forces and persue further employment!

Bratty