Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Avionics/Aircraft Maths

tomjj

Old Salt
Does anyone know the level of maths that is used in aircraft/avionics tech trades? I got an A grade at GCSE maths a few years ago but didn't carry on maths to A level. I just wanted to know if it was degree level type stuff?

Just trying to choose a trade because aircraft tech has an 8 month wait wheras avionics is 5 months and armourer is 3 months. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking at jumping into the nearest intake of whatever trade but want to know if the maths for avionics or aircraft is high level stuff. :?

Thanks

tomjj said:
Does anyone know the level of maths that is used in aircraft/avionics tech trades? I got an A grade at GCSE maths a few years ago but didn't carry on maths to A level. I just wanted to know if it was degree level type stuff?

Just trying to choose a trade because aircraft tech has an 8 month wait wheras avionics is 5 months and armourer is 3 months. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking at jumping into the nearest intake of whatever trade but want to know if the maths for avionics or aircraft is high level stuff. :?

Thanks

IIRC, GCSE at A grade will do just fine. You will be taught to A Level Maths within a very short period, so visit the library and top up on your algebra and calculus.

Litotes

You wont have to do any pre learning if you have got an A at GCSE. All of the stuff will be taught to you again by good instructors. Don't waste any time before joining hitting the books as you will have to do plenty of that at SEAE.
Get yourself out, enjoy your last few days of civvydom, do plenty of phys and get ready for phase 1 before worrying about phase 2.

Yeh well as I say GCSE's were 3 years ago now so I hope it hasn't all fallen out of my head although I suspect alot of it will have 8O

Still undecided about whether to go avionics tech or aircraft tech (would like to work with aircraft). Both are pretty much the same from what I understand, just different is what you work on. Is it worth waiting an extra 3 months to do one over the other?

I'm no longer current but I started my aviation career with the intention of being a greenie. It was more maths intensive to start with but the instructors took my skill level well up. However I found that my interest and aptitude was better suited to my becoming airframe and engines. 16 mostly satisfying years followed as a Lynx mech. Character building .

Thanks for sharing
:)
Passed selection a couple of days ago so just waiting for recruiter to get me a date for air tech

Once you get to SEAE you will still have the chance to transfer between either Aircraft or Avionics.

In my experience, when guys and girls come in on their initial brief about 90% want to go into these trade streams rather than become Land Systems techs. How much have you been told about Land Systems? I bet next to nothing. Essentially its the same as Avionics. Ask yourself why you haven't been told about it by the recruitment staff.

Why is it you would like to work on airframes? What appeals to you? Make sure you know what the job entails before you sign up for it. Vertcalgyro always gives good points on here, see if you can get into a conversation with him, also check out the Electronics tech sticky thread.

With regards to choosing aircraft over avionics - the mathematical standards required for the aircraft trade aren't as high as avionic/electronics disciplines. Push for avionics, but as highlighted by sparky8, don't blinker yourself and explore the possibilities of the land systems courses. If you don't quite make the grade, you can still get a chance of going down the aircraft technician route. It is impossible to do this the other way round, i.e. fail the aircraft tech course and you're off to Bordon.

Whilst working in the aviation environment is challenging and often exciting, be aware that postings are very limited - I hope you like Suffolk! Additionally, even with the drawdown of Telic happening, aviation is obviously a critical asset in theatre so you WILL deploy sooner rather than later once you get to your unit and have completed continuation training.

sparky8 said:
Once you get to SEAE you will still have the chance to transfer between either Aircraft or Avionics.

In my experience, when guys and girls come in on their initial brief about 90% want to go into these trade streams rather than become Land Systems techs. How much have you been told about Land Systems? I bet next to nothing. Essentially its the same as Avionics. Ask yourself why you haven't been told about it by the recruitment staff.
Why is it you would like to work on airframes? What appeals to you? Make sure you know what the job entails before you sign up for it. Vertcalgyro always gives good points on here, see if you can get into a conversation with him, also check out the Electronics tech sticky thread.

Because both air tech and avionics tech trades are pinch-point trades as summarised in the DIN published earlier this month. It could be worse - he could have been pointed in the direction of CAMUS or, God forbid, the Gunners..... :twisted:

Awaiting incoming....

Litotes

Thats exactly my point Litotes. I know they are pinch point trades, what this lad has to find out is why. Im not going to tell him, thats not my job but the reasons for this may influence his career choice.