Aviation Tac Battery

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by OP_ACK, Jan 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, without compromising OPSEC, what is an Aviation Tac Battery?

2. A battery thats works with aviation asssets controlling indirect fire unles i'm very much mistaken. Have a look at 7 Para's website I think they pioneering it

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Spotter planes?

4. no ugly you thinking of bat21 in vietnam!!!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No I was thinking of the spotter planes for arty in Normandy that the british army used! mainly gunner officers as pilots I believe!

6. Ugly

You are thinking of the Air OP squadrons, Gunner Pilots and mixed RA/RAF ground crew.

The only references I have seen to Aviation Tac Batteries concern, as MM says 7 Para PHA, I was just wondering what their role is.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So an aviation asset controlling indirect fire. Spotter plane, hmm fits the bill. No pioneering there then, that was all done in the first world war. In fact done in the US Civil war, artillery spotting ballons. After all thats what planes were invented for, shooting them down.
    Calling something an aviation asset doesnt stop it being a plane does it? I suppose helos would do at a push.

8. Ugly

Please see below a description of the AOP squadrons, taken from my forthcoming book on RA Terms and Abbreviatons.

These units were Squadrons in the Royal Air Force, although the pilots were all regular Royal Artillery officers. The ground crew were supplied by both the RAF and the Royal Artillery. The two RAF Officers in a Squadron fulfilled the roles of Adjutant and Equipment Officer. RAF personnel provided the fitters, riggers, etc, whilst the Royal Artillery provided personnel to maintain radio equipment and operate ground radio stations in addition to maintaining the unit’s transport. The AOP role consisted of observing artillery fire, reporting information from ground observation, undertaking photographic aerial reconnaissance and taking senior officers on flights over sector fronts prior to future planned operations. AOP Squadrons were under the command of the Commander Corps Royal Artillery (CCRA), each AOP Flight within the squadron was affiliated to an Infantry or Armoured Division in the Corps or Theatre. Flights were under the command of the Commander Royal Artillery (CRA). Each Flight was further divided into AOP Sections with each section consisting of one Auster aircraft and Pilot, one jeep and one 3-ton lorry. Personnel consisted of a Driver-Batman and a Driver Operator to look after the Section Commander, the vehicles and the wireless sets. An RAF Engine-Mechanic and RAF Air-frame Mechanic were responsible for looking after the aircraft. Each RHA and Field Regiment (and where possible each Medium and Heavy Regiment) had its own affiliated AOP Section. The Section could be placed under the command of the affiliated Regimental Commander. Following WW2, AOP Squadrons were composed of a squadron headquarters and a varying number of self-contained flights, of either Type A or Type B. Type A flights performed normal AOP duties, whilst Type B flights were especially equipped for Aerial Photography missions.

Hope this helps

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No clearer really still arial op!

10. This is the answer.

11. It helps when your mate is one of the SNCO"s that was involved in setting it up!

Its only a matter of time before people realise that I'm always right and that i should rule the universe lol

Lottery numbers anyone?