Aviation Crewman

If the AAC are to be believed only handsome, debonair types are accepted.

I do remember reading some graffiti on the bog wall in Banja Luka

I don't remember the exact script but it was to do with Godly door gunners gloating about the magnificent air corps getting Apache.... and some realist pointing out something rather obvious....

Apaches don't have door gunners.

As crewman? Nah, just fat, pie-eating, no stick no vote gobshites (awaits fat, pie-eating Mod)

See @ http://www.army.mod.uk/aviation/29742.aspx

How do I become an Army pilot?
There are a number of ways of becoming a pilot in the Army, either as an officer or NCO. The AAC accepts applications from both male and female applicants.

• Officer: The AAC offers an eight year Short Service Commission to a number of officer cadets, post commissioning from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS), each year. Ideally aircrew aptitude tests, aircrew medicals, and the Flying Grading Course should be completed before entering RMAS. If this is not possible officer cadets may be able to complete aircrew selection and medicals during their time at the Academy. Suitable candidates are interviewed by a Regimental Selection Board in week 26 of the course and successful applicants are commissioned into the AAC on their graduation.
  • Officer Assignment from another Regiment or Corps: There is also the opportunity for officers from any regiment or corps to volunteer for a tour with the AAC. You must have completed two years of commissioned service and be on the Army Pilot Course by the age of 30. Officers may apply for a transfer into the AAC during their flying tour. Those officers who do not wish to apply or are not accepted for transfer will return to their parent unit or corps.
  • Non-Commissioned Officer: Any soldier with the minimum rank of Lance Corporal, recommended and qualified for promotion to Corporal, with at least four years service, may apply for the Army Pilot Course. Selection procedures are the same as those for officers. Soldiers not already holding the rank of Acting Sergeant will be promoted to this rank and re-badge AAC on the award of their Army Flying Wings, following Conversion to Type training.

May you go forth & get hit by a bus, train or a low flying army copter!
And may you learn to read or get hit by a large object.

Shoot me now! ....

Been up for nearly 18hrs & cant sleep, whats your excuse apart from your still breathing, sadly!
I can't compete with not sleeping. I don't need to.

It's changed to Aircrewman in the last few months, a review of ACM duties and responsibilities has sparked quite a lot of work in HQAAC.

There will be a joint course held at DHFS and an aspiration of tiered flying pay (I'm not holding my breath)

For selection as an ACM, you have to be a Class 1 AAC Ground Crewman, successfully completed PNCO and DIT course, have Level 2 English and Maths and recommended LCpl and pass Aircrew Medical and OASC at RAF Cranwell.

In answer to the original question, there aren't many AAC Class 1's not in the AAC.

It's changed to Aircrewman in the last few months, a review of ACM duties and responsibilities has sparked quite a lot of work in HQAAC.

There will be a joint course held at DHFS and an aspiration of tiered flying pay (I'm not holding my breath)

For selection as an ACM, you have to be a Class 1 AAC Ground Crewman, successfully completed PNCO and DIT course, have Level 2 English and Maths and recommended LCpl and pass Aircrew Medical and OASC at RAF Cranwell.

In answer to the original question, there aren't many AAC Class 1's not in the AAC.

Thank you, I'm relieved to have finally got an answer to my question, even if it's not what I wanted.
I'm thinking of going down the Avionics/ Aircraft Technician route and was wondering if there's a possibility of becoming aircrew. Not to worry, it won't influence my final decision, thanks again.

Have a crack at pilot, there are loads of ex RMP, REME techs and AGC blokes who have been eligible for pilot 'slightly' quicker due to leaving training with a tape (not all trades I know)

At least apply for it and do OASC and grading, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck mate.

Latest Threads