Avian flu found in parrot in UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4365956.stm

Just one question? What migrates to South America from SE Asia? Is there some mutant strain of Condor we haven't seen yet?

2. It creeps ever closer to us PTP.

3. "The bird was part of a mixed consignment of 148 parrots and "soft bills" that arrived on 16 September. They were also in quarantine with a consignment of 216 birds from Taiwan."

4. Ahhhhhh thankee NWD , makes more sense now.

5. "Pieces of...urgh"

6. "Polly wants a cra...........sh team"

7. "Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now."

8. "No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!"

9. wakey wakeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy

10. As usual I had a couple of farmers in my bar last night. One is a chicken farmer (of the type that are crammed into sheds for 40 days then killed and taste of nothing) and the other one has some cattle.

Went home for my supper and came in about 10:30 after watching the news and told the chicken farmer that there was a reported case in a parrot. "Great" he said "Compensation ! Here it comes"

Meanwhile, old cattle farmer says "Great. Everyone will eat beef and lamb and that'll push prices up"

Stinks of F&M to me and off I go to www.fwi.co.uk to voice my opinions again.

11. I cannot believe that the bird flu is upon us 8O

In fact I am as sick as a parrot

:D

Awaits standing ovation!

12. This parrot has ceased to be, it is an ex-parrot.

13. No doubt the parrot was nailed to its perch en route :lol:

14. There is no point on getting overexcited.

The virus would have to mutate into a form transmissable to humans. This is possible but certainly not inevitable.

There is no point in worrying until if and when that happens, as any immunisation treatment would have to be derived from the mutated virus.

The only practical steps that can be taken are import, poultry and travel contols and the stockpiling of general-purpose anti-viral drugs.