AVG update

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Yokel, Apr 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Every time I power up my PC I get a warning that support for AVG 7.5 (the free one) will stop on 12 April and offering me an upgrade to AVG 8 (or is it 8.5)?

Anyone done this? Is it also free? Is it simple to download and install?

2. Yes to all your questions 8)

3. Its not free at all.

4. It is free Dollybird, I upgraded a week or two ago. It does tell you about the higher spec paid version but you still have the option of a free version.

5. Aww thanks mac hun, I see my error now xx

6. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

My AVG free has gone funny on me - it now constantly shows that the databases are out of date and when I try to update just asks me to restart my computer.

Any ideas?

Many thanks - C_C

7. I was warned that if I did not upgrade to the 8 version, that as of the 12th April 7.5 would no longer work. Could be that if you have'nt updated to the newer version.

8. I am using v8.0.238 at present, it's free and has not shown any problems so far. Updates virus recognition by itself, checks my mail in and out and I have it scan once a week, all ticktyboo.

Jim

9. Then your out of date 8.5 is now available free :D 8.5.287, no change to the main control panel or anything major in using it.

10. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm on 8.0.233 so I clearly need to go back and manually update from the site.

C_C

11. leveller, just checked, I went to download v8.5 and it wanted to add it to my cart :), I think I will let AVG let me know when it has an upgrade, am happy with what I have at present.

Jim

12. On this page (posted above as well): http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

The left hand version is free, the right side is the premium. No problem at all with it so far, it updates regularly.

13. It should eventually offer it to you, it did me. But it will try again tgo sell you the full suite, you have to look at the bottom of the page on each option for the link to the free upgrade.

As I said its not a major change like 7.5 to 8.0.

14. Now I'm have troube uninstalling AVG 7.5 (I want to install something else).... and it just says:

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
    Error: Initialization of the language file "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7" failed.
    General failure.

Any ideas?