Avg 2011

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by toffeewrapper1, Dec 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks
    Iseem to be having a problems with the AVG on my laptop.I have a symbol resembling a flag with a red cross showing bottom right of my screen.When I open this symbol it tells me "solve pc issues,2 important messages,3 total messages,when I then open this up it tells me that:
    1 Spyware and unwanted software protection,AVG internet security 2011 reports it is out of date
    2 Virus protection ditto above
    When i try to update it just comes back with a general error message and nothing is resolved.It is a paid version of AVG (2 year licence)so i would expect it to do the job.
    Two things please,
    1 Am i still protected?
    2 How do i resolve this problem?
    I have e-mailed AVG on their help line but they dont seem to be forthcoming with any information so i find myself throwing it open to the floor,any suggestions gratefully accepted.By the way, im not the best at computers so replies in English and with idiot proof directions please.

Thank you in advance

2. I work as a IT engineer and have had a few windows 7 avg related errors recently. I even had a problem where it would not uninstall correctly. I now go with avast virus protection and remove avg whenever I come across errors involving it and windows 7. Could not get any help off avg so just uninstalled it and installed avast instead. Hope this helps.

3. Have since spoken to avg on the phone and they have sent a re-install programme which i have used and everything seems ok,fingers crossed.Thanks anyway Firthy,if it raises its head again i'll follow your advice.

4. msr

msr LE

If you are not using the computer for commercial purposes: http://www.avast.com

If you are: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

5. msr

msr LE

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

As an additional comment: DO NOT under any circumstances update/upgrade a Windows XP 32 bit PC to AVG 2011.

There are numerous reports of it completely trashing the system and making it unbootable!

7. Not an answer i know but does make an interesting read.
    AVG CAUSES Win7 Problems

Follow the MSR and just get Microsoft Security Essentials. Top notch

8. If you have an old pc AVG can slow it a lot, I found the avgupdate.exe was bringing my 5/6 year old laptop to a standstill for 20 minutes after turning on.

Avast seems to have cured that, so I'd give AVG the boot, it might have been good years ago but not now.

9. I used AVG all the time until "2011",got rid of it within 24 hrs,just look at the size of the file on your HD,no way Jose!