Average speed camera query....

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by headgear, May 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

In my current job I'm forever travelling back and forward along the M4 corridor and I'm getting more and more pissed off with the average speed camera zones- normally where theres no evidence of any work being done!.

Not wanting to get a ticket in the company car (mt) I try to observe the ridiculously slow speed limit (50mph but one stretch was 40mph for quite a long time)whilst other people go hurtling past at nearer 60 or 70.

My question is does anyone know if the cameras are actually connected? or know of anyone who's actually received a ticket for speeding through an average speed camera zone? - everytime I get overtaken I'm wondering if these other cars are invisible! or the drivers just don't care how may points they get.

Or are the cameras just dummies?

cheers

2. The cameras work
    But allegedly they do not have the appropriate software to deal with vehicles that are not in the same lane as they were when they pass the 1st camera.
    Allegedly that is, check for yourself!!

3. I received one for doing a little over the posted speed at 02:00 on an empty M1. So yes, they are connected.

4. I'm told that the cameras are incredibly expensive because they are on fixed overhead poles and rely on number plate recognition software. So, I should imagine that they need to catch an awful lot of drivers to pay for themselves so yes, they are bound to be active and the drivers speeding past are either stupid or have diplomatic immunity or foreign registered cars.

5. I've heard rumours about if you change lanes after passing one camera, they don't pick you up. Never tried my luck with this though and I can't imagine it actually works. But tailgating a tall truck through one camera then bombing it to the next one does work!

6. This used to be true with the original system, the ones nailed to the gantry, but the newer (expensive), ones used on roadworks are NOT fooled by changing lane.

7. do you know if you're allowed a 10% leeway or not in zones? eg 55 in a 50?

8. Damn - I absolutely hate those cameras !

9. What about BFG registered cars. Am I going to get nicked?

10. The point on no work being done is in my opinion a valid one. The way the law is written if you have a restriction for roadworks it is 24/7what ever. It would be far more reasonable to change it when the risks are less, though there is the US option, double the fine etc if workment are present.

AS for the cars speeding past, either they have found out how the system works better than you or they don't care about points

11. A very good website which gives advice on this sort of thing is pepipoo!
    www.pepipoo.com/

Although the name is pants its a really good site and forum to help the average driver that finds themselves on the wrong side of the law.
    Cheers

12. I'll let you know within the next 2 weeks :oops:

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Haha great site with both sides of th eidiot coin in evidence. such as I was doing 102mph in a 60 am i stuffed? erm, yep!

but also tails of traffic plod making shit up again! so I wont be going back because reading that sh1t only raises my blood pressure.

14. Of course they only photograph the front of the vehicle. You're "safe" on a motor bike, and therefore can go a little faster. Perhaps MT should procure some Harleys for us all to ride between meetings. Some Gore-tex, a Mk 6a Helmet and issue goggles and you're good to go.

15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Er, I wouldnt bet on that. They are average speed cameras because they calculate your average speed between 2 fixed points, unlike the Gatso which calculates your speed over a short distance.

Unless you tailgate a truck past every camera.