Average Recruits Fitness

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ITMatt, Apr 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Just a general question: In all honesty, what is the fitness of the average recruit at ADSC i.e. run times and other general fitness?

I want to be fit enough to impress without delaying ADSC to long to develop the fitness.

Thanks,

Matt

2. just make sure you can get a good enough run time for what you want to join, make sure your upper body strength is spot on (you dont have to be the hulk) and thats pretty much it.

3. Running is more important IMO.

4. You don't need to be the fittest to impress, if you have a tenacious attitude towards challenges and you pass the tests, then you don't have anything to worry about.

5. So would lots of shouting an encouragement towards other team members on the team tasks at selection be ok?

6. Yea definetly, on the jerry can, Team tasks and PT in the gym I was unintentioanlly shouting words of encouragment to people who where struggling, didnt think nothing of it but the PTI's noted it down or something and it was brought up in my interview a good point.

Cal

7. I probly would have unintentionally done so anyway, but will make sure to, even if you only manage to do it with people shouting encouragement at you, you can still do it i guess!

8. When I did my pre-ADSC run(I suppose to see how I was as far as run times go) the other week, I finished and thought I was going to shit a lung. But all I did was go down on a knee to catch my breath for about 3 seconds (literally), then ran back about a hundred meters for the others and ran with them and shouted encouragement.

It's not hard, but just make a point of it. It won't kill you at the end of the day! ;)

9. Dont listen to Ash hes a poof, It could kill you if i stab you while you are running and since you are already wheezing the blood will flow into your lungs quicker....

10. Words of encouragement, good stab in the chest... it's all good for morale, Cal :D

11. ITMatt, i can not account for all my ADSC group but my fitness tests results were as follows:
    1.5 Mile run: 9:50
    Gerry can carry: 150 meters
    Heaves to beam: 8
    Grenade memory test: 10/10
    Static lift: Pass
    Force generation: Pass (eletronic reading not seen tho)

I was told in my interview that my time at ADSC went very well with good comments coming from the "Trainning" staff.

If you can get you run time in the 9.30/10.30 time brackett you should breese over the other stuff. 100% effort riquired all the time tho.

Triggy... :wink:

(plz excuse any mong spelling)

12. ITMatt, i can not account for all my ADSC group but my fitness tests results were as follows:
    1.5 Mile run: 9:50
    Gerry can carry: 150 meters
    Heaves to beam: 8
    Grenade memory test: 10/10
    Static lift: Pass
    Force generation: Pass (eletronic reading not seen tho)

I was told in my interview that my time at ADSC went very well with good comments coming from the "Trainning" staff.

If you can get you run time in the 9.30/10.30 time brackett you should breese over the other stuff. 100% effort riquired all the time tho.

Triggy... :wink:

(plz excuse any mong spelling)

13. When we started shouting encouragement the Staff told us to shut the f**k up! Had to restrain myself from laughing at the time.

14. I'm concerned about my running, because I've never been a strong runner.

God knows what my 1.5 mile run time is, but I have been following the Army fitness programme for the last month or so.

Should I be concerned with my run time?

If it helps, I'm joining the Royal Signals.

15. When I went on a POC during the fitness work I tried to give encouragement and was told to shut the **** up, yet on the log run I kept to it and kept my gob shut and was noted down as not helping the team.

*sigh*

You need to time these things I guess