Ave, Bossa Nova

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, May 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...Semper Bossa Seneca.....*

New Sof S visits Basra
    [​IMG]
    Defence Secretary Des Browne (centre, white shirt sleeves) during his visit to Iraq [Picture: Cpl John Hawkes]

- full story at http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil.uk/DefenceIntranet/News/Operations/Iraq/News/DefenceSecretaryPraisesForcesResolveOnFirstVisitToBasra.htm

Le Chevre

* check out the soundtrack at http://www.mp3.com/tracks/2367485/dl_streams.html

2. Amazing how all this good news and positive thinking about Iraq, yet the death toll of 1000 people per month for the last 4 months doesn't get much of a mention.

I wonder why that is?

3. That can easily be beaten by the UK. There were 512,993 deaths in England and Wales last year, giving 42,749 deaths a month.

Shocking isn't it?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=952

4. Hardy fcuking Ha ha. :roll:

Maybe I should have written 1000 murders a month then. 1000 corpes dumped around the countyside by persons unknown.

This is the number of people who are victims of the locals killing each other BTW so not a dig at the military forces on ground.

The point is that every time a politician opens his/her mouth about the subject it is to say how wonderfully everything is going and how we are on target blahh blahh blah and it is all bollocks.

5. Des Browne has been in post for five minutes, what does he know about the situation in Iraq? He's reading from a script. The cost of flying him out and the time and cost of babysitting him will not be cheap; not good for morale. :evil:

6. Least hes making some sort of effort, people would moan if he didnt go out there.

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yes....plus Minister's Diary is allocated for at least 6 months in advance....I expect this was an engagement inherited from his predecessor rather than a spur of the moment impulse :)

BTW guys, on the HOME Hearts and Minds front, if your local regiment is deployed and you'd like to see a bit of coverage in the local media eg

" Swansea boys back in the Sand (again) " Western Daily Mail says: Safe Home butty !

" Az Zubayr feels the Scouse effect as Kingos go in " Liverpool Echo : " Now then feller,put that down ! " :p

You might like to draw your local paper or radio station's attention to a scheme known as ' Editors Abroad ' which is run by MoD.

Each Brigade/Divisional HQ has an Information Officer who deals with it - ask your local Graphics section for a copy of a handy chart called LAND Graphics 5680 for a contact.

Lee Shaver

8. Bl**dy 'ell! Swiss Tony does Basra..... "visiting Basra is like making love to a beautiful woman..."

9. So eloquently, yet succinctly, put PTP. I f he were anything but a politico, a human rights lawyer, a Blairite and set in authority over us, I would feel some degree of sympathy for him. But he is all of those things and I feel no such urge to gentleness. I only hope he has had the sense to shut up, listen to his advisers and wait for the next reshuffle when the Great Helmsman will move him to the Home office once the present incumbent has run out of other people to blame.

(Yes, I am feeling a little tetchy today......)

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

You missed ' Another bleedin' JOCK ! God damn they're takin' OVER ! '....ah well,as you say, if he is still with us when the Celestial Navigator either quits or calls a general Election, I'll eat my sombrero.....

Don Cabra