Auxillary Army vs Territorial Army?

Probably just a rumour (this is ARRSE after all!) but I've heard that the 'powers that be' are seriously considering re-naming the Territorial Army to the Auxillary Army.

To me it sounds a bit dated, has Women's Ballon Corps connotations, and could be confused with a well known motoring organisation!

I know that the TA could possibly benefit from re-branding but I'm not sure Auxillary is the right name. Thoughts?

Gonzo said:
Probably just a rumour (this is ARRSE after all!) but I've heard that the 'powers that be' are seriously considering re-naming the Territorial Army to the Auxillary Army.

To me it sounds a bit dated, has Women's Ballon Corps connotations, and could be confused with a well known motoring organisation!

I know that the TA could possibly benefit from re-branding but I'm not sure Auxillary is the right name. Thoughts?
If you feel re-branding has to inolve losing the nearly one hundred years of the TA's fine heritage well then fair enough. What is wrong with Army Reserve (or probably Army (Reserve)!)? It does what it says on the tin, helps with the one army concept as a brand...That will be £2 million please...chu-ching!

My next foray into advertising will be the City University of Nottingham on Trent.

wev'e already had the ATS - Auxillary Territorial Service during WW2 - for women. Maybe the ARABs would think its appropriate?

Cuddles said:
Gonzo said:

If you feel re-branding has to inolve losing the nearly one hundred years of the TA's fine heritage well then fair enough. What is wrong with Army Reserve (or probably Army (Reserve)!)? It does what it says on the tin, helps with the one army concept as a brand...That will be £2 million please...chu-ching!

My next foray into advertising will be the City University of Nottingham on Trent.
Well it hasn't stopped them doing it to regiments with over 300 years of service/heritage I'd daresay that only 100 years means nothing and will be wiped off without any though before the little greyman in whitehall sits down to eat his egg mcmuffin

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Have heard the Army Reserve idea bandied about, but the auxilary idea sounds bad!!

jock_sinclair said:
This i[d]ea is ridiculous. I doubt it is being seriously considered.
Now let's consider the flaw in this argument...

"Army Reserve" would make sense, as then it does sound clearly and unambiguosly what it is, the reserve. Territorials, i know is a historic thing that replaced "militia" but in the modern age, especially over seas, no one has a clue what it means as its a "wooly" term in modern usage.
Same thing can be said about "Special Police" in the UK the Specials are unpaid reservists... in the USA, look at the NYPD, the "Specials" are the Spec Ops Division, SOD, who are the men in black who will kick down doors, and swing on ropes thru windows with MP 5 at the ready etc etc
In a lot of developing countries "Special Police" are the guys who kidnap you off the street, beat you and then shoot you and bury you in the desert... being "disappeared" with out a trace.
Auxillary is dated, but you had the RAF Aux don't you?
RNR is the Reserve, nice and simple, its clear and makes sense.
Yeah, and no doubt it will cost millions and millions for any rebranding, paid to left wing wierdo consultants who all support labour... or am i being too cynical??

Army Reserve sounds OK until it is abbreviated to AR, and then you get the plural ARs, and all too soon, Bum's your Uncle. The speed at which the MoD moves will guarantee no change for years, and then the wrong name will be chosen, to revert to TA some years later.

I refer my honourable friend to the answers I have previously given:

1. Is TA a brand we need to get rid of? (March 2006)

2. Should the TA change its name? (January 2006)

3. Territorial Army - is it a misnomer? (June 2005)

Dr_Evil said:
My spies in the UK (or was it a previous arrse thread?) tell me that the rebranding idea [Note: the proposal being talked about last year to rebrand] was dropped on grounds of cost and because the marketeers said that "TA" and "Territorial Army" was a highly familiar, well-recognised brand.

For once, I think the goatee-wearers are right. There is a huge amount to be proud of in the name "Territorial Army", both in terms of our current use and what our predecessors achieved in the first and second world wars.

In an earlier thread, Rifle-Green-Sex-Machine put it brilliantly:

They weren't called stabs or walts - just Terriers. They didn't pretend to be Regulars, but when the time came they fought like Terriers and the Country was grateful. The Regular Bn's gladly accepted the battle honours and VC's as their own. How quickly they forget who saved the day, in their tens of thousands - every man a Volunteer. The Regs didn't support us when our Bn's were lost or merged, but we support them when they come calling, no matter the cause or the personal cost.
What needs to happen is that the Great Unwashed should be given a more accurate picture of what being in the TA now involves. It's interesting that MoD press releases tend to gloss over the fact that the TA are used as front-line troops as well as in the scoff-provision and lorry-driving roles.

So, for instance, press releases currently say "800 soldiers of the Black Watch BG deploy to Camp Dogwood". They ought to say (somewhere in the detail, at least) "... among them 100 reservists from the Territorial Army and Army Reserve". (NB Figures given are mere guesses)

That alone would do a huge amount for the TA's profile. Also, an ad every now and then on TV about the combat arm roles of the TA might help.

What makes it easier to improve the TA's brand image is the fact that what it does has changed so much. All that needs to be done is that the MoD press bods and the marketing wallahs present the reality of what is going on.

The trouble is, the reality embarrasses them. I doubt the MoD really wants the public to know the extent to which they are relying on the TA while the country is not even on a full-scale war footing.

I'd like to see Mackenzie Crook in a TA ad - one where he starts off as we know and love him but then gets his "Glasgow kiss" and is packed off to Basra. Being TV, he would acquit himself well, win a few firefights, rescue a baby or two, and then be back home for TEA and medals and a slightly more rounded view of life after it all.

Any marketing bod will tell you that renaming, rebranding, etc., will work only as part of a more general effort to change the message being conveyed - otherwise the new name simply attracts the negative attributes of the old without enjoying the recognition. "Rebranding failure" is a recognised concept in marketing.

Some geezer equally sceptical of rebranding once said

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
For rebranding to work, you need to look at the whole package of what is being put over in the media. If you rebrand as, say, "Army Reserve" then to alter perceptions so that the TA seems less Dad's Army you need to change the message to reflect the combat role and likelihood of mobilisation.

BUT there must be huge pressure from certain quarters not to make this plain. Those who want to persist in deluding both recruits and employers because they are afraid of scaring people away or making mobilisation more tricky simply do not want these issues raised.

Besides, and forgive me for making this perhaps a bit too personal, it is not traditionalism which makes me believe that keeping "TA" as the name is the better idea. It's the fact that the term "TA" has good connotations for me. I frankly do not care if people think that my membership of the TA makes me like Gareth or Mike; they're simply wrong and their ignorance is meaningless.

PS This thread is giving me an idea for what I think would be a reasonably good ad. It would answer the FAQs, like so:

"Oh, so you use real guns?" - Cut to cheery TA gunner blasting the bejaysus out of someone in Afghanistan

"Do you actually get real ammo?" - Cut to blokes bombing up before a patrol in Al Amarah

"It's not real army though is it?" - Cut to anything you frikkin like.

Then end with "More than a third of the TA has been deployed to war zones in the last three years. Join us, and be Blair's part-time stormtroopers."
Maybe the end bit needs work.
Actually, looking at that post it is clear that they have done some of the things I was asking for. Maybe even because I said so - muahahahahahaahahahahaahahaaa!

I wish they'd get rid of that awful TA logo, though: half Action Man, half A-Team.

Oi !

Not all consultants fit that description.. me especially.

*1 Left wing _ _ _ _ _ _ Nope
*2 Weirdo _ _ _ _ _ _ _ tbc
*3 Supports Labour _ _ Nope (N.B. 'Supports Labour' and 'left wing' is nowadays an oxymoron)

Do I take the money when the Civil Service offer it to me to do the work and make decisions for them ? You bet - I want to buy my own aeroplane with the proceeds. :grin:

'Territorial Army' gets my vote on the history alone but 'Army Reserves' describes better what we do in C21. If I were PM I would also introduce a Home Commitment TA Company for each of the TA infantry battalions to support the police and customs at airports, harbours, Channel Tunnel etc. (hits lots of populist buttons - Homeland Defence, local and tangible impact, contributes to detering illegal immigration). Not exactly *1 policies, though.

FP

G

Goku

C.U.N.T.S. Army!!!

Civilian
Uniformed
Nominally
Trained
Soldiers

Go on the MOD, you know it makes sense :D

gearupflapup said:
Territorials, i know is a historic thing that replaced "militia"...
Membership of the Militia was not entirely optional but the volunteer rifle movement—which became the Territorials—was. They were two different organisations.

jock_sinclair said:
This isea is ridiculous. I doubt it is being seriously considered.
Trust me - it is seriously being considered. Allegedly there is one senior officer pushing the idea because he's a latin buff and likes the idea that Auxillary implies 'to help'.... :?

By the mid-19th century the Militia was volunteer as well, most people joined for the 10 pound a year bounty.

The Volunteers actually paid to serve....

Sapukay said:
By the mid-19th century the Militia was volunteer as well, most people joined for the 10 pound a year bounty.

The Volunteers actually paid to serve....
Maybe you should bring this up in the "Should we be paid for PT?" thread.

"You're going to do PT, and you're going to pay us for it"

Jesus, what's the point, everything will be the same but under a different name.

"Re-branding" has to be one of the most pointless, money wasting, inane civvy things out there.

A dog is a dog even if you call it something different.

Further is this just yet another NL thaang? Like getting rid of 5 Brigade, squishing the jocks into one regiment etc? Stinks of it.

Auxillary Army = AA or AuxA or AxA

Breakdown assistance or Insurance anyone?

Please God no!

Someone, somewhere please take said SO1 Latin speaking numpty and take away his pencil before he hurts himself. And if he has been given a budget to look at this, please use it or something that has value e.g. refurbishing some of the slums we have as TACs.

Gonzo said:
jock_sinclair said:
This isea is ridiculous. I doubt it is being seriously considered.
Trust me - it is seriously being considered. Allegedly there is one senior officer pushing the idea because he's a latin buff and likes the idea that Auxillary implies 'to help'.... :?
And of course, when its rebranded, as one the entire population will snap their fingers and say "deuce, that's it, of couse, 'auxillary', from the Latin auxilium : aid, help, assistance, support, how very clever of them" etc etc

It really annoys me that some senior officer who probably couldn't cut it in civvy street, and certainly hasn't in the army either otherwise he would have people called "troops" to command, is wasting my money, and stealing oxygen.

The Taliban must be quaking in their boots "Mustapha, lets pack it in mate, that regiment over there have got half a platoon of Auxillaries, I'm off"

Its going to make so much difference