Autorotations in Gazelle or Lynx?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Raven2008, May 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys,

Whats the autorotaion exercises are like in a Gazelle and a Lynx? Does either one drop like a brick when the QHI closes the throttle?
    How fast do you lower the collective and how soon before pulling up the nose when approaching the ground? Or does the QHI restore engine power at 5-10 ft off the deck?

Cheers

2. Funnily enough, they'll cover it in your groundschool.

Unless you have an FHT this afternoon, in which case you are f***ed.

Hope this helps.

3. Gazelle floats like a butterfly, Lynx drops like a grand piano. Gazelle has an auto speed range between 0 to 120 knots, Lynx is 80 kts shit bust. Gazelle has approx 1800-2500 fpm RoD, Lynx 3000-3500 fpm but if heavy, can get to about 4500+ fpm. We dont 'close the throttle' when conducting autos, we just lower the collective. Gazelle NR (rotor speed) is very stable, Lynx is very lively and requires careful handling. Typically, in a variable flare engine off landing in a Gazelle, the flare (nose up) starts at about 150' but because its a variable flare, its when ever you feel like it or its dependant on wind, surface, weight etc. A constant attitude EOL, there is no requirement to flare. Just check the collective when your arse twitches. In the Lynx, about 200' ish.

Why?

4. I've been in an autorotation in a Wessex, it was like been pushed over the grand canyon in a double decker bus.

Pilot though it was great fun though

5. T-L-F-H

Cheers for that, I fly the R-44 Raven II and liked to compare it with turbine a/c.....I didn's ask about the AS-350 as got mates that fly it and they told me the autorotation conditions.

6. I can remember watching Whirlwinds autorotate at Shawbury in the late 70s. Some of the efforts caused the Duty Pilot to suddenly look away whilst the rest of us just waited for the crash. Never happened, but there were lots of heavy landings, which resulted in the groundcrew performing lots of checks. I assume it was not the easiest chopper to autorotate and land.

7. The Gaz auto is quite benign. ISTR getting introduced to them by Capt Patterson on my Crewman's course.

The Lynx, OTOH, comes down like a lorry-load of MFO boxes.

8. In a Gazelle it comes as a complete fcuking shock or it did to me the once. There I was, sat in the back with a Gaz TRGB on my lap and wearing just ear defenders as it had been a fastball and I hadn't had the time to pick up a headset and I was looking down trying to spot that nudist camp that everybody talked about, when all of a sudden I get this sinking feeling and I didn't know whether to find God or the emergency door release.

Note to quiche eaters, if you're going to practice engine offs, please warn the poor cnut in the back (first). :lol:

9. Long time since I did this (in a Gazelle), but you lower the collective smartly as soon as the instructor says "practice engine failure, go" - or as soon as your engine quits, if it's for real. You've got to keep the rotor speed up, so getting it down pronto is vital, otherwise the rotor speed drops, the blades fold up, and you are going to die. Once you've got the lever down, it feels like you are in a lift, and the RCDI goes off the clock!
    You flare the nose at around 300 feet, start pulling the pitch in (if I remember rightly) at around 100 feet, tightening it up as you near the deck. JUST before you touch, you let the lever down, keep it straight with pedal as you pull the pitch, nose forward, and you're down.
    Great fun. Excuse me if that is not 100% right (especially re. heights), I did my last one in January 1988.
    Then they chopped me, gits.

10. Correction to my post - as someone else here said, I think the pitch up is lower than 300 feet, and of course, the nose forward bit comes as you pull the pitch in at the bottom.
    Generally you do engine-on autos, (or at least we did in RN). Then, once your instructor sees you do several safe ones, they do engine-offs.
    Brave people, instructors.

11. I'm sure you are one of my old students!? Flare at 300', check collective at 100', run out of experience and NR at 90', give it back to the QHI to sort out......thanks :p

12. Isn't that what QHIs are for? :D

13. It probably feels closer to 300' the first time you try it. The range auto was a fun exercise.............

14. I can't add anything to the details of how it is done but have experienced autorotation in a Gazelle quite often

I was the Recce safety officer in BATUS in the 80's and had to check the various templates prior to each Med Man, given the area I had to cover I was allowed to do it from the air, as a result I was flown around the area by the permanent staff flt comd and had some interesting experiences. One of his tricks was to autorotate back into the airfield and depending on how well he did (ie did he miss the designated landing point or have to turn the power back on) depended on who was to buy the drinks in the bar that evening. For some reason I ended up always buying the first round, never really trusted the pilots after that. Gerat fun though.