Autoplay videos on various websites

I'm sure that many of you are a tad annoyed by various sites, especially newspapers, automatically playing videos when you open a page whether you actually want to see the bollocks or not, it certainly gets on my nerves.

If so, here are some things to do if using Chrome or Chromium (Linux version), or any other browser based on Chromium.

First, download the "Disable HTML5 Autoplay" addon for Chrome, which will at least stop many things from playing.

Second, make sure you have AdBlockPlus and Flashcontrol installed. One way that sites have used to get around the HTML5 block is to use animated gifs, and a right click on the gif brings up a nice "block element" option in AdBlockPlus which does what it says, and there is no more unwanted animated nonsense with these images, they simply don't appear. Flashcontrol does what it says, you choose if flash elements are played on a site or not.

Third, and I know this is on a site for Apple users but t works for all versions of chrome, follow the instructions here:- How to Stop Autoplay Video in Chrome

Result, all the flashing and annoying crap on sites such as the DM (one of the worst I have come across) is stopped dead in it's tracks.

I'm working on how to stop the extra "pop up" video windows that appear when you scroll down pages, will add to this thread when I have the answer as I'm sure many of you can't stand that crap as well.

Couldn't agree more. It's very annoying and on my laptop it slows the page loading down to a crawl which to me brings back memories of 56k modems :frustrated:

The whole internet experience is being spoiled by Web Designers trying to get too fancy and thinking that everything should be on ONE page without thumbnails or secondary pages.

In fact I have dumped Chrome as my default and gone back to Firefox which since their latest upgrade loads pages lickity split and has better 'Add Ons' to prevent a lot of crap loading in the 1st place.

Couldn't agree more. It's very annoying and on my laptop it slows the page loading down to a crawl which to me brings back memories of 56k modems :frustrated:

The whole internet experience is being spoiled by Web Designers trying to get too fancy and thinking that everything should be on ONE page without thumbnails or secondary pages.

In fact I have dumped Chrome as my default and gone back to Firefox which since their latest upgrade loads pages lickity split and has better 'Add Ons' to prevent a lot of crap loading in the 1st place.
As far as I'm concerned, Firefox can go to hell. It was good until the latest version came out and now I cannot log into any site which requires secure authentication using my electronic ID card, despite following all the instructions for what could be the cause it just dumps it's guts and refuses all access.

That's why I'm talking about using Chrome and other browsers which are based on Chromium, as they do allow me access.

Until Mozilla get their act together, and that includes being able to use the addons I used with older versions as some of them won't work either, Mozilla can go to hell.

5.JPG

In the address bar type about:config.

That will bring up the gubbins of firefox and how it works.

In the search bar search for media.autoplay.enabled which will more than likely be set to True.

6.JPG

Right click on True and then click toggle and it will set to false and that should stop pretty much all videos autoplaying.

View attachment 319137

In the address bar type about:config.

That will bring up the gubbins of firefox and how it works.

In the search bar search for media.autoplay.enabled which will more than likely be set to True.

View attachment 319138

Right click on True and then click toggle and it will set to false and that should stop pretty much all videos autoplaying.
Tested on a "naked" install of Firefox, as in no addons whatsoever, and immediately the animated stuff on the DM homepage stopped when their home page was reloaded. Pick an article and, while the "popup" video player still appears after you scroll past the video in the article the video itself does not play.

It works, nice one.

Now just to figure out how to kill these damned popup video players....

The worst examples are probably personal web sites built by people who really don't know what they're doing (very often ex-forces guys describing their uneventful 22 year career as a radio storeman etc.)

Embedded sound files of bugle calls and regimental marches and the like, all set at ear-splitting volume levels and which are triggered every time your cursor accidentally runs over a large area of web page.

Badly composed and misspelled text all laid out in a single continuous paragraph in an unreadable black font on a dark coloured background. Not forgetting the dead graphics links and a menu that seldom functions.

Tested on a "naked" install of Firefox, as in no addons whatsoever, and immediately the animated stuff on the DM homepage stopped when their home page was reloaded. Pick an article and, while the "popup" video player still appears after you scroll past the video in the article the video itself does not play.

It works, nice one.

Now just to figure out how to kill these damned popup video players....
There is more than likely a setting that will kill popups but it will kill all popups like email boxes and so on which may actually be useful. Autoplay is the bane of my life.

There is more than likely a setting that will kill popups but it will kill all popups like email boxes and so on which may actually be useful. Autoplay is the bane of my life.
I know, that's why I'm looking specifically for what I think is HTML5 videop popups.

Within the about:config file on Firefox I noticed this line

layers.mlgpu.sanity-test-failed;false

Oh..oh !!

Which leads to the question what the 'F' have I been..(ahem)..researching lately :-(

Or does it know I am a member on Arrse ??

I know, that's why I'm looking specifically for what I think is HTML5 videop popups.
From: How to Disable Video Autoplay in Chrome and Firefox

Disabling Video Autoplay in Mozilla Firefox
If you use Mozilla Firefox and are sick of seeing videos playing automatically even though you are not interested in them, here’s how you can disable it:

Launch Mozilla Firefox on your computer and then type the following address into the address bar and press Enter. Do it as if you’re visiting a normal website.

upload_2018-1-25_9-58-0.png

There should be a couple of categories on the left-hand side. Click on the one that says “Plugins” as that is where the option for disabling the aforementioned function is located.

upload_2018-1-25_9-58-54.png

On the plugins page, you should see a plugin named “Shockwave Flash.” There should be a drop-down menu next to it with a couple of options. What you need to do is click that drop-down menu and select “Ask to Activate.” It will now only enable the Shockwave Flash content after getting your consent.

upload_2018-1-25_9-59-50.png

And there you go.

The video autoplay feature is now disabled in your Firefox and you can confirm it for yourself by visiting any website that contains some videos. You should see that they now require your permission to play; they don’t play automatically like before. Your task is done.

There are instructions for Chrome too,

Incidentally the Website Make Tech Easier listed up top is a must read to get the best out of the latest Firefox version.

Popup video windows.

Chrome:

Look at the address bar, see the padlock? Sometimes red, sometimes green, sometimes a circle with an exclamation mark. Click on it, select "site setting", look for "JavaScript" and change from "allow" to "block". Repeat for all annoying sites. No more popup video windows.

Firefox:

Install NoScript add-on. Click on icon in Firefox toolbar to add a site to "exceptions" by changing setting from "untrusted" to "trusted"

Simple as that.

Tested fully on Heil site

On the latest version of chrome you cannot block the videos from playing automatically. But you can disable or mute the site's audio on windows and android. As suggested here (), it is kind of annoying as previous version of chrome had the option to disable media autoplay.

The worst examples are probably personal web sites built by people who really don't know what they're doing (very often ex-forces guys describing their uneventful 22 year career as a radio storeman etc.)

Embedded sound files of bugle calls and regimental marches and the like, all set at ear-splitting volume levels and which are triggered every time your cursor accidentally runs over a large area of web page.

Badly composed and misspelled text all laid out in a single continuous paragraph in an unreadable black font on a dark coloured background. Not forgetting the dead graphics links and a menu that seldom functions.
I miss the original Arrse layout.

YIPPEE! Thanks chaps - I've just managed to kill the Wail's video pop up!

My annual ARRSE membership fees are now justified!

Latest Threads