automatic lighting

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Grumblegrunt, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

is it legal to fit a light sensor so automatically control the headlights? or do I need a manual overide alongside it.

2. My Mondeo had it as standard kit, switch positions were Off, Auto, Side and On.
  3. You might have problems at an MOT, when they go to test your lights and it's not dark.
  4. Many motors have auto headlights and usually auto washers as well. I'm glad they do as this makes driving easier for me.
  5. Grumblegrunt

right so I need an extra switch then.

6. Yep - Renaults have a similar set up - On my 04 Megane, if you leave them turned off, they'll automatically go to dipped heads if it gets dark and the engine is on, unless you go through a menu to cancel that setting - but you can turn on side lights or dipped beam manually too.
  7. It's a Renault - that's a wiring fault, not a "feature". See also "exploding sunroof" and "general Frenchness"
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Mine doesn't have an off switch its auto or on.
  9. You've also got the worst satnav in history.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grumblegrunt

to be fair it has good maps of poland.
  11. Just in case you've been told this: the dealer told me there was no way to turn off the Daytime ****** Lights, but there is. About 4 million submenus into the COMAND.
  12. Yeah I know about them mine were off and I wanted them on :)
  13. Can't argue with that and it does dilly dally around Belgium.
  14. Would that be the 'Birdview' one? Got one in my Nissan and it's a pile of shite. The other day in Plymouth it was telling me to turn right onto a road that was on an overpass about 100ft above me.
  15. It's the Mercedes get lost and **** you about one.