Automatic Driving License Question

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by once_a_maverick, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs OAM has, in her infinite wisdom, decided to do her test in an automatic car. This of course means that she is restricted, when she passes to driving automatic cars. My question is this:

I have seen a number of vehicles advertised as "semi-automatic", usually Renault Clio's, apparently they have an option of automatic transmission or manual (clutchless) transmission. Will my dearest be allowed to drive one of these on an automatic license?
  2. For what I've been able to find out, if somebody turned up for a a test in a car with tiptronic (or the like) and subsequently passed, they would be given an automatics only driving license. Also various car hire firms are quite happy for someone like Mrs OAM to rent (and drive) a car with tiptronic.

The legislation is somewhat confusing (isn't it always) and the net is full of somewhat contradictory information but the main thing with a tiptronic (or again the like) is the lack of a clutch, so it's classed as an automatic.

I couldn't find anything on any 'official' website but I'm sure that some smart arse will. :wink:
  3. Tell her to stop pissin around and take her test in a normal car. Automatics are for lazy fat bastards...AKA Yanks.
  4. You tell her. I tried and failed.

Thanks for the info MS
  5. An automatic car, including semi automatic, SMG, DSG, tiptronic etc etc all work with a fluid flywheel rather than a clutch. Put simply, if it doesn't have three pedals in the footwell it's an automatic, regardless of how a manufacturer tries to jazz it up. So yes she will be able to drive one.
  6. That's what I call an answer.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oi I'm not a Yank!