Automated Target System (Big Brown Box)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by STABALTERN69, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm hoping that someone here can refresh my memory? Does anyone now the name of a rifle zeroing system that was used on Electronic Target Ranges. All that I can remember is that it was bloody heavy to carry to the point and it regularly went tits up!!! As well as it being in a massive brown box which had to be wired into a jack on the firing point.

If I recall it had a 2D image of a round target and it registered your grouping and then you could work out how many clicks you needed to turn in order to zero one's rifle. In addition is it still in use today?

MODs please feel free to re-locate if this is more apt in Shooting Sports
  2. Attached Files:

• SDE.jpg
      File size:
      15.3 KB
  3. Unfortunately not, I'm not familiar with that bad boy, I'm pretty sure it was in a big mahoosive brown box with one carrying handle and they where a sod to carry around. Just remembering that I was normally at the extemities of the range and would have to lug this piece of crap to my lane only to find out that it was US and repeat the process again.
  4. In fact aren't those the clever gadgets that are used on field firing exercises, which funnily enough don't work either!!!!
  5. Was it AMS?
  6. Certainly sounds like it to me, only the ones we use are green, they are temperamental but very handy to have on ranges.
  7. They were a light brown color. Had a little TV screen etc inside. No idea what they're called though? Sorry
  8. AMS (automated marking system)
  9. Thank you all for your valuable input, will search google for more detail.
  10. Not having much joy, on that; Does anyone if we still use it or has it been consigned to the annals of history.
  11. Yes we still use it on Castlelaw Ranges and also Barry Buddon I believe.
  12. Boxy I suppose it would be a bit much to ask who makes them or are they still commercially available?
  13. I can sell you a big heavy box that doesn't work... for you, £5,000, and thats cutting my own throat.
  14. I have no idea who makes them, sorry.
  15. It's made by SIUS-ASCOR (link) a Swiss firm. They don't just do military stuff; they make the targetry used at the past few Olympics.