AutoCad Question (from a thicky)

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by putteesinmyhands, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm dabbling in AutoCad and have somehow reset one or two settings that I've grown used to. These seem to have affected their use on the PC, rather than just in the one file, so I'd like to get them back.

Please bear with me, as I'll be using non-technical terms. If I knew the right terms, I'd be using the HELP! function, but as I don't it's of little use to me.

Right.

You know when you click on something, it changes to a dashed line with boxes at the end and centre? (Told you it would be non-technical). Then you click on something else and the same happens, giving you two items highlighted? Well, I've changed something that causes the first one to de-highlight when I click on the second.

I know I can make multiple selections by holding down the shift key, but I've grown used to my left hand hovering over the Esc key, so I'd like to get the multiple selections back.

Answers in layman's language please.

Thanks in advance.

2. http://www.augi.com/publications/hotnews.asp?Id=357

b. “Use Shift to add” – As a general rule, many Windows applications require that you hold the Shift key down if you want make multiple selections (i.e., selecting files in Explorer). AutoCAD can operate in like fashion if the “Use Shift to add” option is checked. If checked, previously selected entities are released with each subsequent selection. To “add” entities to what you’ve already selected, you have to hold the Shift key while selecting.

Check to see if this is checked? Or unchecked or whatever :)

3. Thanks, Steven. You're a star!

I'd never have found that by trial and error in a month of Sundays.

4. should maybe start a cad monkey section of the forum.

5. Only if all posts come with a translation for the benefit of us obliged to use the stuff without any formal training!

6. ditto puttees. My autocad training consisted of boss throwing me a laptop and saying "You're now a daughtsman".

7. The changes you've made are to the system registry rather than the drawing file because the Grips function is a personal preference so it will remain constant no matter which drawing is current.

Not sure version of CAD you use but these might help?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C9aZ23zRWHQC&pg=PA554&lpg=PA554&dq=autocad+grips&source=web&ots=yOXHTcH7Pd&sig=ORxDHUwrI80A7U4SkAsf1ljyLQ4&hl=en

8. Following on from that success, another question...

I'm doing some drawings that I want to put into a Word document. Previously (with simpler drawings) I've done various cheats like screen capture from a Layout screen or, more recently, copying and pasting the bit of drawing that I want straight in.

Currently toying with a *.wmf procedure, which I found on the web today.

Trouble is, I can't get line thicknesses to show. Is there a simple way?

PS. Remember that I said "simple".

9. Do you mean you can't get the line thicknesses to show on the layout view? Or model view too?

10. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

If you're using a recent version, why not use the "PublishToWeb Jpg" or Png print option... Specify what pixel dimensions you want and it'll dump your layout as a jpg or png file.

I'm using AutoCAD 2006 here.. you may not have this option if you're using something old. Line thicknesses should show if you're outputting in high enough resolution for it to actually matter.

J

11. I have always been curious why people flock to use AutoCad. Let me explain.... The original AutoCad was written in assembler by a small group of blokes and sales really took off when the product was released. There were some management changes as the company grew, and the original software writers didn't like the direction the company was going. They left and formed Evolution Computing.

The 2 main products, EasyCad & FastCad were\are written in assembler and from a users POV, speed. Redraws are virtually instant. The drawing files when saved are miniscule compared with AutoCad.

Before you think I work for them, I don't, I'm just a very satisfied user for over 12 years. I believe that BAe use the software too. Ohhhh, I forgot, each licence is about £1500 less than AutoCad last time I looked. If you can, give them a try.

12. ohhhh, I forgot as well, you can import and export .dxf files as well.

13. :? a wassa? a wassitwassa? formy trainy wassa? eh? 8O

I'd like to know who exactly has had formal training in ACAD, I'm wasn't aware the Army provided any!

14. Now, about these lines...

Bloody 4 o'clock in the morning I gave up, having resorted to plotting each bit of drawing I wanted, then scanning them. A bit scary as this would give me a final Word document of about 30Mb!

The major problem was that the lines were printing so thin that they were virtually invisible. Other techniques resulted in dashed lines printing solid.

Later, went into work and thought of something else (copy & paste section of main drawing into Word, then double-click to open AutoCad from within, then "display line thickness". This resulted in a big splodge as the lines merged into one another. At this point I noticed something I hadn't tried. I forget what it's called, but there's a slider thing that I ended up setting near the left-hand end, adjusting the screen line thicknesses to something nice). I printed it off and it was lovely!

Out of curiosity, I opened the Word document that I'd wasted so much time on last night (full of wmf images) and printed that. It also came out well.

I then tried just copying and pasting from AutoCad to Word. It also printed out beautifully.

Evidently the problem is with my printer driver (he says nonchanantly, not really having a clue what he's talking about), though it has worked before.

I'll try replacing the driver, anyway.

Thanks for all your help, though I still haven't sussed why dashed lines come out solid in Layout when they look fine in Model. If it's down to scaling, wouldn't they appear wrong in both?

15. My first dabbles in CAD were with TurboCad v2, which I got free on the front of a magazine. I was impressed, especially as there was some degree of compatibility with Release 13/14. (I'm led to believe that TurboCad was the software of choice of the Clk Wks at the time, though presumably they were using the paid-up version - probably v4). This allowed me to sketch, producing workable drawings for me to use on site while the CAD monkeys tarted it up in AutoCad for the formal drawings. The system worked well as it was a definite WYSIWYG set up and printing was an absolute doddle. Obviously it was excellent value for money!