Author needs RLC/Iraq/Female experience

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Mr Happy, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Dear Arrsers,

A female author (half a dozen books published, not JK Rowling) has contacted me on the arrse books forum to ask some questions.

Her latest book will feature a female character who she has decided after some chatting with me, to be a driver or maybe drvier/radio operator in the RLC (hence this forum rather than my own). She's a number of questions and would welcome some helpful input. Below I've cut and pasted her mails to me, and some of her questions then perhaps you can help, in addition, if you've got any personal stories to share of whatever you can PM me and I'll pass those along/put you in contact.

Thanks

Mr H

and

and

and lastly

So anyway, Daphne would appreciate some help and I thought it would be a good opportunity for the your corps and Army to come across as all those things we know we are, professional hard working and all that. So if you can answer any of the above, make some comments about female roles on Telic and any other information that would be useful it would be much appreciated. If you want to do it on the QT, PM me. Obviously there are also some unasked questions that you can help with too, for example, which RLC units were in Iraq when, Foden or Daf DROPS, A2 or still on the A1 IW, etc etc. Likewise, are there any RLC in Iraq books out there that might help?

Thanks again

Mr H

2. Is "Daphne" said Female Authors real name? sounds like she's been watching too many episodes of Scooby Doo...

8)

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

It's rude to answer a question with a question. But to answer it, yes it is. And no, I'm not her - I fart in bed and everything.

4. Remember that she has to be fat, over promoted and a chip on her shoulder :D

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

ahhh unbalanced

6. Ah, 68 Sqn RCT Rheindahlen, didn't you just love them or was it fight them??

7. Or be really fit and give 4 or 5 guys a std in Belfast

8. Shouldn't that be a bag of chips in her grubby little mitts.

9. msr

msr LE

10. Sully the corps name think she looks like a good incentive for recruiting. Only by looking at her pics of course..........

11. I've had plenty of RLC female experience, but I have a feeling it's not what she wants to hear?? ;)

12. Perhaps the character could be a single mum of 3 kids by different fathers.

That way she wouldnt be in Iraq, having pulled the welfare card....................

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

thanks to the guys for the PM's..

Mr H

14. judging from her e-mails to you she really is clutching at straws here.
    Surely if you are writing a book then you should at least have an idea of the story other than its about a woman in Iraq with a driving licence!

Nurse? Not driving a warrior, drops vehicle, tank transporter
    If she were to make her a medic why would she need to research nurse training? medics arent nurses.
    Crazy about cars and joins the army to drive trucks?
    'arrive in Iraq when the war was over and the dire stuff started', what does that mean? by dire does she mean boredom or insurgency?