Author Iain Banks has terminal cancer

That's tough luck but I preferred the other blokes stuff: Iain M Banks.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
truly sad. I love many of his books.

edit - if I can meet my end with a tenth the humour and spirit he's displaying up to now, I'll be (relatively) happy.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
truly sad. I love many of his books.

edit - if I can meet my end with a tenth the humour and spirit he's displaying up to now, I'll be (relatively) happy.
You've got Sluggy, what more do you need? ;-)

"Will you do me the honour of becoming my widow?" Top man.

I'll put in an early vote for Player of Games as my favourite. Difficult choice though as he is such an excellent writer, in both his guises.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just spotted this on the news. Fantastic author and one of my favourites so very sad news.

(M) Use of Weapons or Excession
(Non M) Complicity or Whit

I'll put in an early vote for Player of Games as my favourite. Difficult choice though as he is such an excellent writer, in both his guises.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Inversions is one of my favourites.
I very recently worked my way through the Culture series again; I've only just realized that the their history runs concurrently with ours - The story line begins in what would be our 14th century and the Culture's 'Contact' section secretly visited Earth in the 1970s....

Dammit, that is sad news. I love his Culture Books, Consider Phlebus is a great space opera. Totally flummoxed by Feersum Enjin.

Excession is my favourite Sci Fi novel bar none.

Player of games, excession or use of weapons for me. For mainstream, you can't get more dark and macabre than complicity

Excession is my favourite Sci Fi novel bar none.
That was the first of his books I read, a freebie from the donations rack at South Cerney to kill time waiting for a flight (I HATE MOVERS!!!!) I was hooked straight away.

(M) - Excession and Use of Weapons
(Non-M) - Whit.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad news.
I'm with Bad CO on Player of Games, and would highly recommend Espedair Street for the non Ms

Very sad news. Those of you that like a good single malt whisky might like to read 'Raw Sprit' a very funny book about Iain touring (and tasting!) all the distilleries in Scotland.

L

lumpy2

^ Yep, this book got me and the old man into Laphroaig!

Never read any of the sci fi books, but of his others, The Crow Road and Espedair Street are my favourites.

Sad news indeed.

Everybody dies, which pretty much sums up his plots. The last few worthless efforts I've been binned 2K words in.

Bugger, Adams dead early, Gemmell dead early, Pratchett on his way out and now Banks off even quicker. The cream of British SF and F just doesn't seem to last long enough. Moorcock on the other hand seems to go on for ever.

Liked all of the Culture books except Inversions and the "anti-Culture" book The Algebraist too but I have to say that Feesum Endin might be my favourite.

Bugger, Adams dead early, Gemmell dead early, Pratchett on his way out and now Banks off even quicker. The cream of British SF and F just doesn't seem to last long enough. Moorcock on the other hand seems to go on for ever.

Liked all of the Culture books except Inversions and the "anti-Culture" book The Algebraist too but I have to say that Feesum Endin might be my favourite.
Was thinking something very similar earlier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Acid_Tin The Intelligence Cell 0
Plastic Yank The Book Club 0
J The Intelligence Cell 27