Author appealing for help

Sorry to intrude on your forum but I am an author looking for definitive help on a specific topic - what pension (if any) is payable to service personnel that are dishonourably discharged. I have tried several sources - MoD, but none have got back to me. Any guidance would be most welcome.

Generally you only forfeit your pension if you are found guilty of treason or committing offences under the Official Secrets Act. Otherwise you get what you are due when it's due. Google: Forfeiture of Armed Forces Pension, it will bring up various documents that detail it for the different schemes. There was a case reported in the press not that long ago about a convicted IRA bomber ex-servicemen claiming his pension.

I knew a Warrant Officer who was court martialled in his last 6 months for drink driving. Reduced to rank of Private, left on his due date, and received his full pension as if he had been a Warrant Officer.

Have you been on at the media relations people in MoD as they are ordinarily quite helpful.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I knew a Warrant Officer who was court martialled in his last 6 months for drink driving. Reduced to rank of Private, left on his due date, and received his full pension as if he had been a Warrant Officer.

Have you been on at the media relations people in MoD as they are ordinarily quite helpful.
When I left RAPC 32 years ago, you got iirc (it's 32 years ago...) the pension of the highest pensionable rank you'd held in the last two years of service. Since the career structure of the RAPC meant I might be promoted every two years, I saw it as a potential trap and it was part of my decision to leave eight years before pension because I figured as an IBM mainframe programmer, I could make better money outside to make up for the loss of immediate pension.

I think back then, loss of pension was possible, until the powers that be realised your pension fund wasn't theirs to steal from you.

But I could be wrong.

Latest Threads