Austrians keep conscription

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chrisg46, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

2. 6 months service? By the time the recruit has done basic trg and then trade trg plus a bit of leave it will be time for resettlement courses and terminal leave. Might get to stag on once.
  3. 6 months might not sound like very much but come the annexation of the Sudetenland and the start up of the fourth empire then they will have pool of basic trained troops to hand.

A lot easier to do a week or two refresher training than to have to start from scratch when needed.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. msr

msr LE

But the Sudetenland is in the Czech Republic / Slovakia...
  5. During my time with UNFICYP (happy days) there was an Austrian Field Hospital just outside Nicosia, they were a great lot. I couldn't comment on their abilities as soldiers though. They all had long hair too.
  6. Yes but can you imagine this :

The military personnel system is an integral part of a comprehensive civil service system. The nine officer ranks from officer candidate through general correspond to grades I through IX of the civil service system. The highest grade, IX, may be occupied by a section chief (undersecretary), a career ambassador, or a three-star general. A grade VIII position may be held by a departmental counselor, a career minister, or a brigadier general. Salary levels are the same for both civil and military personnel in the equivalent grades, although various allowances may be added, such as flight pay or hazardous-duty pay.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The main pitch of the military in Austria is as an emergency service - all the posters up have toms filling sandbags to stop floods and digging out snow covered villages.
    They do have a Bundesheer as opposed to a Bundeswehr - an army as opposed to a defence force. Frankly, most of the kit is obsolete, a big open day last year that I attended (aimed at professional recruiting not conscription), was like a walk through an 80's NATO museum.
    I have always got the impression they want to keep a low profile [having gotten away with WW2], and now that Eastern Europe guard duty is over, are happy with an emergency service that could become a Swiss style militia if needed.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oh I so very nearly bit.

Early morning wah is unfair.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ...but not sea-duty pay...
    • Like Like x 2
  10. msr

msr LE

11. We 'worked' beside Austrians in Bos (Austrians are VERY interested in Bosnia, it being a former possession of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and they have a number of treaties with BiH, and a popular place for Bosnians to study and work in) , these 'soldat' must have not been conscripts as their tour was six months alone. They were all large types and judging from their tattoo's and general demeanor and attitude to the Bosnian Terps quite 'right wing politically'. There is a very funny photo of the then Co 1 A & SH standing beside an Austrian soldier during the tenth anniversary of Srebrenica, where the Austrians managed to kill A) one of their terps in a crash B) Two locals in a firearms incident.

Linky: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders History – Bosnia 2005 its the second photo in the top row.
  12. Why not?
  13. Blimey, I didn't know that Griff Rhys Jones had been the Co 1 A & SH.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Only half of the 50k bods are conscripts, the other half are full and part-time regulars (although probably only half the regs can actually go into the field).
  15. Sound familiar?

The system of promotion in the Austrian military, which offers no incentive for early retirement, means that the military is top-heavy with senior officers. The New Army Structure, which is intended to result in many fewer active-duty and reserve commands, compounds the difficulty. Personnel changes can be implemented only gradually, as the surplus of officers shrinks by attrition. As of 1991, the army had four officers of general rank, fifty-nine at the rank of brigadier general (one star), 155 colonels, and 254 lieutenant colonels.