Austrian Prisons:not even New Labour is this stupid - yet.

It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Faced with a shortfall in cash, the Austrian Justice Ministry set up call centres in prisons and hired them out to private companies as an alternative to outsourcing overseas.

What has proved to be a money-spinner for prisons that previously offered inmates traditional jobs as locksmithing and joinery has caused uproar in Austria when it emerged that most of the call-centre workers were white-collar criminals convicted of fraud.

The companies that use the call centres are mainly telecoms services providers from Germany. Critics say that the profits do not justify the controversial scheme, not only because convicted conmen should not be given access to people’s private details but also because prisoners were being hired to do things similar to those “they had been locked up for in the first place”.

According to Mr Sikora (Christian Sikora, who represents staff at Karlau prison), the call-centre contractors’ job interviewers prefer convicted fraudsters who are “experienced sales geniuses”.

It all began to go wrong when customers complained that their personal data was at risk of falling into the wrong hands and consumer groups expressed alarm about the advice being given over the phone by convicted fraudsters.
In full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3613754.ece

Its rare that a Criminal Justice story surprises me these days, but I'm still young.

S

stabradop

AJ

I seem to recall something like this before in Austria, a few months ago. I may be wrong...

stab

I recdkon the call centre idea is good. They could be used for reporting cones, damaged roads, etc.

All monitored and no cash involved.

The reaminder are used for sorting out rubbish for recyclebles.

Call centres have been in UK Female prisons for about 10 years......

dante242 said:
Call centres have been in UK Female prisons for about 10 years......
Which call centres and which prisons?

I seem to remember something about an Austrian who set up a whole heap of prisons some years back, it didnt end well.....

Sod reporting the traffic cones, they should Be the traffic cones!!!!!! I like the bit about working in recycling centres though.

NU-Lie-Bour dont have to farm out government business to Call centres manned by Convicted Prisoners, then have Customers Personal data being lost or used for Criminal purposes..... Government Departments under this appaling NUOO Lie-bour administration have been loosing or selling personal data of Citizens for years..... DVLA have been doing this for ages...

Now where is that National ID Card Database... Who can they sell that to to fill out the financial blackhole they have gotten us into.... :? :? 8O

hogspawn said:
I seem to remember something about an Austrian who set up a whole heap of prisons some years back, it didnt end well.....
I think he had problems with his staff. :wink:

Drlligaf said:
hogspawn said:
I think he had problems with his staff. :wink:
Ex-Cpl wasn't he? The regime at the prisons upset a few people, particularly foreigners, with their robust views on certain ethnic groups and there was a significant statistical imbalance in the population of said prisons. Russkies gave him some grief, and apparently (according to the Septics) the Yanks had to come over and sort out the mess. :?